Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The beat goes on: MSCFX

One of you (Investor?) a while ago half kiddingly alerted everyone to the fact that I have been the one to keep everyone alerted to what was happening with MSCFX Mairs & Power Sm. cap. It did take a brief nose-dive some weeks ago, but after 21st May, '13, the M* page shows it up for the past year exactly +35.38%. Throwing-in the end-of-year cap gains from 2012, my own stake is up exactly +35.91%.

I do not think such momentum can be sustained forever. But I'm enjoying the ride. It's still a very young fund.
http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?region=USA&t=MSCFX

Comments

• Sweet. Congrats Max.
  • You made a good decision to buy when you did, Max. I was thinking it could be a big downside-style fund, but for the last year, anyway, it's coming in at only 73% of the downside of the S&P 500 ... up/down capture of 115/73 vs. the small-blend category average of 102/112:

http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/ratings-risk.action?t=MSCFX&region=USA&culture=en-us

Of course, who knows what it would do in a selloff like 2011.
  • I picked up MSCFX to split money from ARIVX few months back. What attracted me to the fund is the fund company, low AUM, reasonable fee and low turnover.

The recent 3.84 percent one day drop had scared me a bit. Combined with ARIVX, I think I will be able to sustain the volatility.
  • Since you like to brag about your high flyers, I pointed to 5-6% loss in a single day and you were in no position to brag.

I was just pointing to the downside of these high flyers, and difficult it could be to stay the course during corrections. To your luck, the market returned to its uptrend pretty quickly. In a 2008 like situation this fund will inflict a lot of pain. Be ready and have a strategy in place.

A similar fund that is high risk high return is WSCVX.

I personally like VVPSX. A bit tamer. For those that cannot take much risk ARIVX is an option. I've decided ARIVX does not suit my personality and long term needs.

In the international small cap area a high risk high return fund is OBIOX. I held this fund when it was a new fund. I did not have any idea of its performance in market decline and it was painful and manager did not have and record to be hopeful for future so I bailed out at an unfortunate time. I recently re-established a very very small position on it again. The position build up will be a very slow process this time. I have more confidence that fund can experience uncomfortable declines but comes back and I do like current valuation factors a lot. The portfolio is cheap!
  • edited May 2013
    Holy cow, over the past 1 and 3 years, OBIOX is indeed charging forward. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. I'm an amateur, but what steers me away is the portf. turnover and the risk/reward profile. I just won't go where risk exceeds return potential. BTW, my MSCFX is a small position for me, though, happily it has grown quite a bit. If things suddenly turn to feces with MSCFX, I'll pile it into my other M & P fund--- MAPOX. If the end of all things comes, we'll be chewing on rocks and ax handles, and what my portfolio is doing will be a thing of the past. I recall, and keep the fact in my breast pocket, that Joseph P. Kennedy exited the Market just before the 1929 Crash. I wonder what it takes to be so prescient...I'm still willing to learn....