Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

-Ping- Scott...

edited May 2013 in Off-Topic
"Additionally, I don't get the new insanely expensive line of headphones. It's all about branding. I'd rather spend less on something like Sennheisers that aren't slick or stylish but just provide very good audio. "

Hi Scott- I've felt the same way about the insanely expensive units but hadn't looked at the Sennheiser models. Since you mentioned them, I see that Amazon has at least four different Sennheiser models, and I've been reading the specs to try and make a decent decision.

Have you any experience with any of their wireless models? I have a very significant hearing loss, so this type of headphone is a real help. Currently I have an older cheapo infrared Sony, but the range is quite limited. Because my hearing loss is very asymmetrical (right ear loss about 50% / left maybe 80 or 85%) I drive the transmitter unit with a small stereo line-level booster, which I've modified with a balance control and high-frequency emphasis circuitry. I should be able to drive any headset transmitter with the same setup. Pretty decent results all-in-all, but I've been thinking about an RF model for quite a while so as to eliminate the line-of-sight problem.

Thanks, as ever!
OJ

Comments

• Unfortunately, I haven't used any of the wireless models. I've actually only used a couple of their headphones over the last 10-12 years or so but for a good reason - they've actually lasted.

Both have offered very good audio quality (are there better, yes, but I think the ones I used would rank highly in their price range - but the mid-range ones that I got offered were a solid value for the money and a pleasingly warm, clear sound) and build quality that lasted (both offered replaceable cords - I only had to replace the cord once for the prior pair.) Both took some time to "warm up" after purchase and the sound improved.

• I can't add much about wireless models, and although I am not currently using any headphones, I've owned Sennheiser's for many many years and concur that they provide great sound/$ value.
  • Thanks to both of you for the info. If I get a pair of the wireless type, I'll evaluate and let you know.
    Regards- OJ