Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

You're Simply Not Gonna Believe...

edited May 2013 in Fund Discussions
I listened to the new RSH CEO talk about re-branding the label (once again), during recent earnings call. "Tap potential of our legacy brand name," he said. I never thought he meant this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/08/radio-shack-beats-by-dr-dre-pill-ad_n_3238229.html

Comments

• Well, they are pretty desperate for business, any business. The old business has long decline to the point that they basically are reseller for cell phones. Problem is there are too many resellers everywhere.
  • beebee
    edited May 2013
    Radio Shack once had an interesting business model when it first open. It sold and promoted the backyard electro-machanical engineer. By selling discrete electronic components (resistors, diodes, transistors...even vaccuum tubes) and kits (HeathKit) RS allowed the backyard guy (gal) build radio circuitry and other things. Probably in the garages of HP or Apple one could find a RS Heathkit radio.

Being a native Newington, CT you can appreciate the American Radio Relay League and its mission. It's small headquarter train and promote short wave radio amatuer ham radio operators. ARRL grew out of a need to have a communication system in place around the country and world at times of various levels of national/global emergency.

I wonder why Lego or Kenetic or other junior engineering organizations (think STEM, JETS,etc) never teamed up with Radio Shack to modernize their store products with educational technology of today. Instead they become some form of retailer that never really seemed any different than a mall kiosk.

Educational technology, educational engineering, educational science, educational mathematcs...kids love this stuff. RSH lost there way. They went from Nerd up to Word up...from wholesome to hold some.

Have you ever attended a FIRST robotics competiton? It was founded by Dean Kaman (inventor of the Segway). Very cool program for kids of all ages (even older engineers with MBAs). Especially important for inner city kids who need constructive outlets.

For_Inspiration_and_Recognition_of_Science_and_Technology
  • So very sad that they have stooped to this. There can't be much life left in them.
  • edited May 2013
    Reply to @bee:

Hi Bee.

My wife feels same way. Her first radio came from Radio Shack. I thought rekindling this name recognition was the direction its new CEO was headed. Again, we're both a bit surprised and taken aback by the new ad campaign. But who knows...we're well beyond the prime campaign marketing target age of 12-14 years old!

I understand a couple of key RSH stores in New York City are getting make-overs as well. Plus, promise to focus on all store products, not just cell phone and mobile contracts. Promise too of better service. I've been to a couple stores with good customer service, but mostly bad experiences. They got out of their Target kiosk partnership. Scott's mentioned recent partnership in China may be path to survival.

But I must admit, I'm part of the problem. If I'm at a RSH store, it's probably because I did not have the time to order via Amazon. And, our last TV, we window-shopped at BestBuy, then bought for $200 less (including shipping) on-line.

Hey, I felt that Edmunds Scientific lost its way in similar fashion. Once a go-to store for hobbyists (eg., amateur astronomers), but now more gimmicky.

Newington, CT? We grew up in Newington, CT! Me on Eddy Lane. Once dairy farm country that became nice suburbs because of flourishing local industries like Fafnir Ball Bearing and Stanley Tool. I went to grade school at Patterson and first couple years at Newington High. Mill Pond and Chuchhill Park, especially the fireworks! Newington Grinder...the best Italian grinder in memory! I played Legion ball for Sherman Tomasso.

Rich with memories=). Thanks for mentioning.
  • At first I thought it was a merger announcement between Radio Shack and godaddy.com. :)

I sold electronic parts for 34 years at a small industrial parts distributor. Selling a few half watt resistors and capacitors to fix the tv is not a business model either as well as selling the cell phone contracts. They will need a better plan. What worked in the past, doesn't now. People buy their electronics at WMT, BBY or AMZN. None of the funds I have own any RSH.
    73, Dave
  • edited May 2013
    I think it's remarkable that they are still capable of doing something else, even if it's not the correct course. They will probably do okay as an emerging market retailer, but it's not something that I think will be a major turnaround - it'll just muddle along at best. COSI and RAD are other examples.

Additionally, I don't get the new insanely expensive line of headphones. It's all about branding. I'd rather spend less on something like Sennheisers that aren't slick or stylish but just provide very good audio.
  • Reply to @Charles:

Thanks for the mention of Edmunds. I remember them fondly as the best of the mail order places (haven't thought about them in many years, though). Not to mention Lafayette Radio and Electronics and other smaller companies.

As I recall, Heathkits were somewhat sophisticated, at least compared with Dynakits. Again, thanks.