Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What is wrong with you people?

Excerpts from a recent commentary by Thomas L. Friedman-
Ever since President Biden’s Sunday announcement that he would not seek re-election, clearly because of age, I keep thinking about Donald Trump’s and JD Vance’s contemptuous reactions to one of the most difficult personal decisions a president has ever made, and what it says about their character.

“The Democrats pick a candidate, Crooked Joe Biden, he loses the Debate badly, then panics, and makes mistake after mistake, is told he can’t win, and decide they will pick another candidate, probably Harris,” Trump wrote on social media on Monday. He later added: “It’s not over! Tomorrow Crooked Joe Biden’s going to wake up and forget that he dropped out of the race today!”

Not to be out-lowballed by his boss, Vance wrote on social media: “Joe Biden has been the worst President in my lifetime and Kamala Harris has been right there with him every step of the way.”

All they had to say was: “President Biden served his country for five decades and at this moment we thank him for that service. Tomorrow our campaign begins against his replacement. Bring her on.”

Biden’s good character shone through on Wednesday night in his dignified, country-before-self address at the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office. That came naturally to him. And I have no doubt that Trump’s and Vance’s venomous reactions to Biden’s resignation came naturally to them too.

I’m sure it brought them joy. But it sure left me wondering: What is wrong with you people?

Comments

• Excellently put.
  • edited July 25
    That kind of crap has very limited appeal, mostly to the raucous wing-nut crowd running around with flags stuck on their rear bumper and portraits of their “savior” engraved in the glass. I wouldn’t expect it to sell well amongst most reasonable folks. Friedman is always suburb.
  • Evidently that kind of crap has a lot of appeal to certain baseball fans, even here on MFO.
  • edited July 25
    Ya got a point there. Boards like this attract many different kinds of people.