Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

WSJ: Vanguard’s Die-Hard Customers Have a Message for New CEO: ‘The Service Is Abysmal’

edited July 8 in Other Investing
Above-the-fold article on this morning's WSJ website. Also mentioned are concerns over new fees nickle-and-diming customers and how growth of AUM not leading to customer service/interface improvements.

(gift link)
https://www.wsj.com/personal-finance/vanguards-die-hard-customers-have-a-message-for-new-ceo-the-service-is-abysmal-c2da0491?st=79tslq2qz4mj6bi&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Vanguard ranked last out of eight major brokerages for customer satisfaction with website performance and mobile apps in a recent survey of 2,700 investors conducted by Investor’s Business Daily, which is published by The Wall Street Journal’s parent company, Dow Jones. The asset manager has acknowledged the problems, which some analysts chalk up to an underinvestment in technology.

Former CEO Tim Buckley, who announced his retirement in February, said in 2019 that the firm would spend $1 billion a year to improve its technology. Vanguard rolled out a modernized app in 2021, but customers weren’t impressed and complained of bugs and dumbed-down functionality.

“The complaints go back years and years,” said Daniel Sotiroff, a research analyst who covers Vanguard at Morningstar. “Part of the issue is their size and how fast they’ve grown. It’s hard to turn the Titanic.”

< - >

For investors having web or tech issues, the lack of night or weekend service is a particular point of frustration. Vanguard’s customer-service line is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern time. Rivals Fidelity and Charles Schwab both offer 24/7 customer service by phone.

“They’ve always tried to keep costs low and service has suffered as a result,” said Jeff DeMaso, editor of the Independent Vanguard Adviser, a newsletter. “Long wait times are an issue.”

< - >

There’s a theory, and I’m not the only one to come up with it, that they’d rather move people onto the personal advisory service where they make more money or they’re just as happy if they go to another brokerage,” said Allan Roth, founder of Wealth Logic, a financial-planning firm.

Comments

• Would the customers be willing to pony up for improvements ?
    Customer complaints on a % basis , I don't see it presented.
    I'm not a fan of VG, but I do have an account there.
    Last question. When RMD account runs out of money, are you charged $100 ?
  • Used to love Vanguard. Not no more. They are just a massive hassle to deal with.

I called them up a short while ago about opening up a new taxable account. I didn't want to open an account online, but couldn't find a form on their website. The rep told me they don't post the forms because they're trying to save me money. I explained that I'd rather do everything via USPS. I had to be sent a form via a super-secret email thing or whatever. I don't care if they shave another .0001 points off the expense ratio at this point -- I'll pay that extra .0001 in ER to get decent service.
  • edited July 8
    Wasn't it not that long ago that companies nearly demanded that one perform all correspondence digitally online because they were not going to be providing hard copies by mail any longer?
  • Always knew that Vanguard got to where it is by being the low cost leader but felt that volumes were such as to permit them to finance adequate staff and technology. Seem to have been mistaken about that. Still hold a couple of Vanguard funds, just not at Vanguard anymore. Maybe they're happy I left!
  • edited July 9
    sfnative said:

Always knew that Vanguard got to where it is by being the low cost leader but felt that volumes were such as to permit them to finance adequate staff and technology. Seem to have been mistaken about that. Still hold a couple of Vanguard funds, just not at Vanguard anymore. Maybe they're happy I left!

Maybe their new motto will be "Please buy our funds, but not from us." If they wanted to get fancy, it would be: Nostra pecunia emere, sed non ex nobis.
  • edited July 9
    My primary reasons for becoming a Vanguard customer were: 1) good low-cost actively-managed funds;
    2) firm had strong reputation; 3) firm was mutually owned vs. publicly traded.
    I was never fond of Vanguard's investor website even after it was redesigned.
    I seldom contacted Vanguard for assistance but did experience several suboptimal interactions.
    Dan Wiener (The Independent Adviser for Vanguard Investors) chronicled Vanguard's customer service
    issues for years. Regardless of the new CEO, I'm not confident these long-standing issues will be
    ameliorated in the near-future. Updated commission and fee schedules (effective July 1) suggest
    Vanguard is prioritizing "nickel-and-diming" investors rather than improving customer service.
    Consequently, my two Vanguard accounts were recently transferred to other brokerages.

• "Maybe their new motto will be 'Please buy our finds, but not from us.'"

Exactly. Vanguard is a fine mutual fund company but a lousy brokerage.

• edited July 8
    sfnative said:

"Maybe their new motto will be 'Please buy our finds, but not from us.'"

Exactly. Vanguard is a fine mutual fund company but a lousy brokerage.

+1
  • Bogelheads.org I peeked about the site fast and found this discussion link.
    This tread is named, 'Customer Service Mega Thread' and begins March 29, 2024. Scroll down the page to the blue colored area, second paragraph. This write says a lot.
    I have no desire to read the thread, but some here may have an interest.
    My last Vanguard connection was a 401k plan. The rollover of that plan to a Fidelity IRA was absolutely smooth. A three way phone call and presto, finished in about 20 minutes. I suspect that wouldn't happen today.
  • @catch22 : thanks for bringing this point out. After reading 3 or 4 remarks , I can see that may be part of the problem. That leads me to ask, were brokerage advisors added to help relieve this problem & at the same time to add a few coins for the brokerage ?