Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Can someone explain PYLD’s apparent negative 90% cash position? What am I missing?

2»

Comments

• I think FD is saying that average Joe is correct over 90% and the rest under10%.
    Works for me..
  • Ok Raq, I already said that I forgot the word MOST in the post.
    With that in mind, you are correct 100% about this minor issue.
    So, adding the word MOST makes my statement 100% right

Now, if you want to make posts with real significant, such as where to invest at any given time and/or when markets are at juncture points. I will take this challenge with you any time.
  • FD1000 said:

Now, if you want to make posts with real significant, such as where to invest at any given time and/or when markets are at juncture points. I will take this challenge with you any time.

ROFLMAO.

Is this a hockey forum?
  • Whatever you say, FD. Clearly, being perceived as being 'right' is more important to you than it is to me. My original response to you was fairly innocuous, obviously valid, and you could have chosen to simply drop the matter there. But instead, you took it as personal criticism and reframed your statement so that you would be 'correct'. I made the mistake of pursuing this with you, but it's clear that any perceived criticism simply makes you dig in your heels and double down. So, FD, I'll give you the 'win'; no need for that shoot-out at noon.

I extend my apologies to the poor folks who had to sit through this nonsense, and truly regret my part in prolonging your agony. I should have known it was a waste of time.
  • After this latest exchange, I do undestand the negative cash position of PYLD a lot better.
    (I still worry about whether I belong to the 90% or 10%.)
  • Silly me, I invest mostly the same way whether I'm buying OEFs or ETFs. Which raises the question: do people trade more because they invest in ETFs or do people invest in ETFs because they trade more?

I wrote "mostly" because there is a slight difference. With an ETF, I'm left wondering if, at the end of the day (literally), I'll own something worth more or worth less than I what just paid. With an OEF there's no uncertainty - I own something worth (NAV) exactly what I just paid.
  • edited June 30
    All you have to do is read posts about trading, and the majority of them are in ETF/CEF/Stocks.
    If someone trades very liquid ETFs such as SPY,QQQ the buy-sell difference is very small, and getting out in melting markets is easy. The less liquid, is much worse.
    In 2022, I traded PDI for a couple of hours because it was yelling a buy one day. Within a couple of hours, I tried selling it for a nice profit, I couldn't do it with a limit order, I had to change it to an open order to get a lower price + it was selling in chunks and it took about 2 minutes. PDI daily volume is pretty big, but still, it was a problem.
    I never had a problem selling mutual funds at any time.
    It's also important to discuss how big is the positions, the smaller it is the easier it is. Try to unload a big position, and you will find quickly that the result is different.

You learn from experience. ETFs are great trading tools for good traders.

Yes Raq, how long can you discuss a small mistake I made and admitted it?