Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Looks like most everything was up today.

edited June 1 in Other Investing
Of 18 funds + BRK that I watch daily (none of which I own) everything was green Friday except for TMSRX which was unchanged. Quite unusual. Interestingly, BAMBX gained 0.60% - a big leap for a fund like that. Bonds ticked up after a good day yesterday. PRWCX, TCAF, JHQAX are three that I monitor mainly because I know they are popular here. All gained more than 0.75%. And VWINX gained 0.80% today - miracle of miracles. Precious metals didn’t seem to move much - but miners were slightly up from what I can see. Gold’s at $2350 which is still nicely ahead of where it started the year, Really an unusual day in that most everything was up. My sense is that the movers have broadened out a bit in recent weeks. Performance no longer confined to the Mag 7, tech and large caps.

Comments

• Even SCHD was up 1.84%. Maybe a flip to value but my pessimist buddy used to tell me that one warm day does not a summer make.
  • edited June 1
    Thanks Larry.

I wasn’t thinking “flip to value”. That would be ground-shaking. Just perhaps a gentle nudge towards a more normal market. With the S&P up over 11% YTD (and tech doing even better) the following better-than-average funds haven’t shared in the celebration. I’m sure others can cite multiple reasons for each’s underperformance (bond holdings / interest rates being cardinal). Still, the large disparity between the winners and laggards this year is interesting.

LCR +3.76%
    OAKBX +3% YTD
    PRHYX (high yield bond) +1% YTD
  • edited June 1
    Based on (https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/sectorsummary.html) ...
    Everything was up, but technology lagged, the less you own tech, the better your portfolio made for one day.
    Rates were down = most bond funds made money.

Let's ask the obvious easy question: if you held just the SP500 for your stock portion (based on Bogle+Buffet) have you done well YTD + in the last 3-5-10-15 years?

• edited June 1
    FD1000 said:

”Let's ask the obvious easy question: if you held just the SP500 for your stock portion (based on Bogle+Buffet) have you done well YTD + in the last 3-5-10-15 years?”

The S&P 500 lost approximately 56.8% of its value between October 2007 and March 2009, according to the historical performance data. This significant decline was a result of the 2008 financial crisis and the Great Recession. (Credit: Brave Search AI summarizer)

Hey big guy - Every dollar you held in your S&P 500 index fund in October 2007 was worth 43 cents 16 months later. Sound like fun?

• edited June 2
    hank said:

FD1000 said:

”Let's ask the obvious easy question: if you held just the SP500 for your stock portion (based on Bogle+Buffet) have you done well YTD + in the last 3-5-10-15 years?”

The S&P 500 lost approximately 56.8% of its value between October 2007 and March 2009, according to the historical performance data. This significant decline was a result of the 2008 financial crisis and the Great Recession. (Credit: Brave Search AI summarizer)

Hey big guy - Every dollar you held in your S&P 500 index fund in October 2007 was worth 43 cents 16 months later. Sound like fun?

And...how much did the SP500 ended at after 15 years = 6/1/2008?
    418% which includes the 50% loss that happened as you noted above, but wait, since 2010 I have been posting why you should invest in US LC tilting growth, SPY has been an easy choice but you could also invest some in QQQ. If you invested in QQQ you ended at 934% (https://schrts.co/zTCFZQSB)
  • edited June 1
    The trailing fifteen year period starts on 06/01/2009.
  • The trailing fifteen year period starts on 06/01/2009.

You are correct, it was late at night and I made a mistake.
    See, I said it.
    Since 6.1.2009 the numbers are better.https://schrts.co/KtzXAsQw

• edited June 2
    Since 06/01/2009, FSELX trounced VFIAX and QQQ.
    https://schrts.co/JiAcEVac
    Portfolio Backtester
  • FD1000 said:

The trailing fifteen year period starts on 06/01/2009.

You are correct, it was late at night and ***** I made a mistake.******
    See, I said it.
    Do you feel ok? Who is this and what did you do with FD1000?

• lol
  • A bot.
  • FD’s Surrogate?

• edited June 2
    Sure, why not?