Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Applaud Good Service from service Reps

edited May 22 in Other Investing
I thought we should have a thread to acknowledge good service provided by various Reps, even the few from Vanguard.

Also, feel free to indicate whether you told the Rep that you appreciated their service and whether you wrote a message to their organization / Rep’s boss about the difference the Rep made. It takes time to follow-up with a thank you note but I think it is important to acknowledge, even if they are getting paid and they are only doing their job. I think we can not take for granted people who do their job.

I am a hard grader and call out BS to the Reps face but when I encounter a genuinely good service provider, I write to their boss or provide a written message so the employee can forward it to their boss.

Comments

• edited May 22
    Are we limited to strictly financial dealings? I can recall a "beyond the call of duty" episode with airline staff, many years ago, at the airport...
  • edited May 22
    No, we can express gratitude to any service provider. Because we in this forum have written pages and pages of angst from financial service providers, it was easy to mention them.

It does not have to be “beyond call of duty.” It can simply be doing duty sincerely and competently, which I do not take for granted..
  • It's easy because there are not many providers with great service unless they are very expensive.
    1) After several decades with different discount brokers Schwab is #1 for me, and Fidelity is second and why I have accounts with both for many years.
    2) Amazon has the best service, responds within seconds, and solves everything.
    3) REI: the best camping/sport store with excellent knowledgeable employees and good prices.
  • edited May 22
    EVA Air. (Taiwanese.)
    Many years ago. Late getting into Manila from Cebu. Long story. And Manila is the worst airport in the world, by the way. My ticket was with China (Taiwan) Air, with a stop in Taipei. But the next one out, from Manila, was not for many, many hours (to Los Angeles.) My ticket was a patchwork job. Somehow, I ended up in First Class on EVA Air from Manila to Taipei, in the midst of this adventure.

In the meantime, back in Manila, I gave EVA my ticket, since they volunteered to see if a transfer to their airline could be done, all the way to Los Angeles. If they could get China Air to say "yes," I would not have to wait forever to get out of Manila on China Air. I do recall that somehow, they managed to get me to Taipei quite a bit sooner. But China Air did not want to give up the revenue, from Taipei to L.A.

...So, there I am, still on the ground in Manila. And I remember that each individual passenger must pay a small extortion fee to a guy in a booth with a badge, in order to simply LEAVE. Passengers must pay, because their gummint cannot trust Philippine Airlines to collect the tax and remit the money to their Tax Authority. So, they made a universal rule. Every PASSENGER will pay the fee, with a ticket on ANY airline.

I did not have the cash for the fee. So, in the EVA office, they took up a collection for me!
    I took down names and described their kindness in a letter to their HQ, and left it with them, to send to the proper person. I got back Stateside and sent more than the equivalent in US dollars back to them, with my gratitude. They even sent a reply, inviting me to fly with EVA anytime.

You won't find anyone connected to an airline doing such a thing TODAY. I bet you, dollars to donuts.

• Being very hard of hearing I have to use Schwab's "Chat" option. Their Chat service reps are uniformly friendly and helpful, no matter which part of the US they answer from (so far that's been Texas, Colorado, and one other place back East that I can't remember.) So far they have answered every question that I've had. And other than a slight Texas accent they all speak very good English.
    :)
  • edited May 22
    I second Schwab Chat. I have used them sometimes, especially after hours when the assigned team does not work.

The Reps on it do not seem to be less trained than the telephone Reps but do not assume everything the chat Reps say is correct, even though they are putting it down in writing. Also, do not be shy to ask to be connected to their supervisor, if needed. I have had at least two occasions where I chatted with the Sups. Both times the Reps did not know their own literature; once the Sup did not know their own literature. But in the end they all come through - just be patient.
  • Apple. One of the biggest reasons why I’m a huge Apple fan is their customer service. Their staff in stores are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Over the years, I have sought assistance many times through the Apple help line by telephone, and they have unfailingly helped me solve whatever problems I’m having— at no cost. Their telephone service representatives are knowledgeable and friendly.
  • despite my growing disappointment with vanguard, the personal reps have been consistently patient and accommodating for my parents that are often unable to find\complete tasks (and not just recently !) on the website.
  • a2z, how does one qualify for a 'personal rep' at VG? I used to have one when I first moved into Flagship, but have since lost him. I just call the Flagship number now and take whoever answers.
  • my guess is that if you no longer have a named vanguard personal rep (when logged in) with a specific phone#, then something happened.
    our rep usually calls back and keeps scheduled appointments. if we need to speak with someone immediately, it seems to go to first available senior service rep.
    again, has been more useful to my parents for basic tasks then for myself.
  • Vanguard dropped personal reps (for those not paying for PAS) years ago. Here's a 2021 Bogleheads thread discussing this.

There may be the oddball Flagship customer or two (see "Gill" in the thread) who continues to have a personal rep for unknown reasons. But generally the free service is long gone.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=363122