Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

QDSNX - A Fund for Retirees?

edited April 4 in Fund Discussions
Lately, I have been following the AQR Diversifying Strategies N Fund (QDSNX) and been pleasantly surprised by its excellent risk/reward profile.

The fund company describes its investment approach as follows: "Leveraging AQR’s research and 20-year track record in alternative investing, the Diversifying Strategies Fund is designed to complement an investor’s traditional stock and bond portfolio. The Fund invests in a portfolio of AQR mutual funds, providing exposure to both Absolute Return strategies and Active Multi-Asset strategies."

With a Standard Deviation of 7%, the fund has a YTD total return of 11.8%, and a 3 Year return of 12.7%. In 2022 it gained 14.5%.

QDSNX is available at Fidelity with a minimum investment of $2,500 and no transaction fee.

I am curious of the opinion of anyone who has used this fund in their portfolio.

Looks like it could fit nicely into a conservative retirement portfolio.

Fred

Comments

• A fund made up mostly with 6 other funds. I see it's available it Schwab & Vanguard also.
  • At Schwab, it is strange that I was not able to pull up this fund using the main page search function which is what I have always used. But the Research tab has its own search function which pulled up this fund; you can also pull up this fund using the quote function.
  • edited April 5
    This post is for anyone (not necessarily responding to @fred495)

"The Fund invests in a portfolio of AQR mutual funds, providing exposure to both Absolute Return strategies and Active Multi-Asset strategies."

Its benchmark is 3 mo T-Bill index

It has six managers four of whom have Ph.D.s.; the 2.62% ER is kind of justified! Joking aside, I generally do not pay attention to ER if a fund has return history. The ER includes acquired fund fees.

https://funds.aqr.com/funds/alternatives/aqr-diversifying-strategies-fund/qdsnx#about

Fact Sheet and Fund Profiles can only be downloaded as pdf at the link above.

Just sharing what I observed -

May be someone can compare this to other credible Absolute Return funds. I only know PVCMX and for the year 2023, PVCMX did much better than QDSNX which lost 6% during the March 2023 SVB tantrum and took five month to recover. I am sure bond gurus in this forum can come up with bond funds that had a much better risk adjusted or absolute return than QDSNX for 2023. However, QDSNX did well in 2024 with a 11.8% YTD total return (a nice chart)!

The fund started in June/July 2020 and so I am not aware of any left tail things to test against. Was SVB a real left tail? The fund did not impress at that time. is it a predictable trend follower? Per M*, the fund started with five managers, four of whom left before the third anniversary. Of the current six managers, only one has invested in the fund (>$1m).

M* portfolio indicates 221% net long exposure - use of leverage or derivative notional being reflected in net long?

May be others can fill in the rest.

• edited April 5
    I can't help in filling in the funds detail. I've never bothered with AQR funds, basically because they are such a chore to understand - for me. "Absolute returns" in their case really means you have to "absolutely" put your faith in their managing style and process. In this case, 6 funds I don't understand all being combined to make 1 fund I don't understand.

But all that said, the steady return trend for this fund sure looks like a nice alternative to smooth-out a basic equity/bond portfolio. I actually do hold an alternative fund to do that, BLNDX, but maybe this one is better(?) I don't know.

• edited April 5
    As a quant manager, AQR has not had the best track record this past decade. AQR stuck with their convictions during tough times, and many of their funds took a major hit, badly underperforming for stretches. They have had heavy portfolio manager turnover these past few years.

This Fund of Funds (FOF) has performed with low volatility (OP mentioned 7% SD) in it's short life. Maybe that FOF diversification works here, and hopefully AQR has learned a few lessons from it's prior experience.

As to what you actually own here, I'd be curious to see what others say. It acts like a hedged fund (long-short?). I had purchased a small amount so as to watch it closely. Recent performance has been rock steady, even on ugly market days.
  • edited April 5
    Balu said: "I only know PVCMX and for the year 2023, PVCMX did much better than QDSNX which lost 6% during the March 2023 SVB tantrum ..."

Sorry, but just for the record I checked Portfolio Visualizer, and I see that in March 2023 QDSNX lost 3.7%, not 6%. That's actually the highest monthly loss for QDSNX.

For the year 2023, PVCMX gained 9.5%, whereas QDSNX gained 8.5%. However, there is also a considerable difference in the standard deviation of these two very different funds. Why compare them?

Fred
  • PVCMX is "absolutely" nothing like QDSNX, is it? I don't see how they can be compared. PVCMX is a small cap value equity fund that, when it can't find value, puts it's money into cash. QDSNX is a kind of a black box since it has the components to go anywhere and do anything at any time. Just my 2-cents.
  • I agree, Mike. Well said.

Fred
  • edited April 5
    I lost count of how many times this forum has discussed PVCMX as an Absolute Returns fund. E.g., You can search David Snowball’s posts on PVCMX. QDSNX touts itself as an Absolute Return fund and hence the comparison with other Absolute Return funds. My post with the comparison started by quoting from the OP. Did I quote out of context?

I rechecked and stand by the approx 6% drop for QDSNX during SVB tantrum I had reported. (5.7% drop if I am getting paid to do this work.)

I do not believe in BS asymmetry and take great pains in trying to ensure I am objective and accurate in posting / sharing investment information because others may rely and make choices based on what I post. So, I appreciate others cross checking the information I post. You can either ask me how I got my information / numbers or simply post that I am wrong, whatever furthers a useful / productive conversation for the forum.

Disclosure: I did make money on AQR funds in the 2017 time frame and have not owned them since. I never owned PVCMX.
  • Not to quibble, but I notice "absolute" is used in many different ways on this forum. Absolute return, absolute value, absolute total return. I've seen David's description on PVCMX as absolute value. It is still measure against the SCV benchmark.

From one of David's earliest mentions of the fund, he describes as:
    That’s about it. The generic term for the discipline is “absolute value investing.” It’s rarely seen anymore, having been replaced by its cousin, “relative value investing.” Relative value investors will settle for buying “the best of a bad lot” so that they can remain fully invested. Absolute value investors warn “you know you’re putting ‘a bad lot’ into your portfolio! That’s not wise.”
    Investopedia gives this definition of absolute return:
    How does an absolute return fund work?
    An absolute return fund seeks to do things differently. Instead of being measured against an index, they aim to deliver a positive return (ie. greater than zero), regardless of broader market conditions, generally with lower volatility than you would find with just holding stocks.
    FWIW.
  • Balu said: " So, I appreciate others cross checking the information I post."

I followed your advice and checked Portfolio Visualizer's March 2023 return for QDSNX and, as I posted above, it shows a loss of 3.7%, not 6%. I assume PV is a reliable source.

So, Balu, what is your source for the fund's 6% loss you posted?

Thanks,

Fred
  • For what it is worth, an M* article on AQR, and its strategies.

I did not read anything that encouraged me to spend a lot of time learning about the funds underneath the fund.

• What do QDSNX and PVCMX (and BLNDX) have in common?

They all managed to net positive gains for investors in calendar year 2022, a feat not accomplished by many mutual funds. Even bonds were beat down in 2022 - only commodities were in the green.
  • edited April 5
    I owned the AQR equity market neutral fund (QMNNX is the N share class) in 2016 and a chunk of 2017, when it was doing extremely well -- and then it took a dive until 2021-ish. It's done very well again since.

It's done better overall vs. QDSNX since the latter came on line, mostly due to a separation of return in 2023 and this year to date. (Another share class of QMNNX is one of the six funds shown on Fido as a constituent of QDSNX.)

I might be more amenable to the market neutral fund by itself right now; as I recall, it wasn't difficult from their reporting to see what they were doing. The argument for QDSNX instead would probably be steadier returns and apparently lower risk, maybe from a little more diversification.
  • There was a good article in Barron’s this past weekend on Cliff Asness … Am I allowed to post excerpts here?

• Mike, Please post the excerpts.

BTW, QDSNX picks the 3 mo T-bill index as their benchmark - I think I posted this in my first post.

• edited April 5
    @MikeW- For years I have posted excerpts, both edited and unedited, and always specify those conditions. Also, I give credit to, and provide a link directly back to the original information source. So far there have been no complaints regarding this approach.

FWIW- OJ
  • edited April 5
    JD_co said:

What do QDSNX and PVCMX (and BLNDX) have in common?

They all managed to net positive gains for investors in calendar year 2022, a feat not accomplished by many mutual funds. Even bonds were beat down in 2022 - only commodities were in the green.

Among the fund I own, VSMIX, PEY, FSUTX, IYK, USFR, and VRIG had positive returns for 2022. I add that year to one of my views at M*.

Added for clarification: All of the utilities, and most of the consumer defensive funds, I monitor were in the green in 2022.
  • WABAC said:

Among the fund I own, VSMIX, PEY, FSUTX, IYK, USFR, and VRIG had positive returns for 2022. I add that year to one of my views at M*.

Added for clarification: All of the utilities, and most of the consumer defensive funds, I monitor were in the green in 2022.

Yeah, my point there was that the S&P was -18% and the broader bond index was -13% in 2022, so it was a tough year to come out positive.

• @fred495, to add to the conversation and add to your post, which I think is a good one, I'm wondering if others, especially those near or in retirement, own or are looking at alternative type 'absolute return' funds in their portfolio. I actually like the idea of some percentage of these to smooth out the ride. Problem (maybe) is that there are so many in the alternative section to choose and they can be vastly different.

So, I'll give the ones I'm using. If others want to chime in that would be great.

I hold:
    JHQAX, at about 10%, an options fund recently discussed in this month's commentary by @Devo
    BLNDX/REMIX at about 5%, a multi asset fund, labeled as a L/S by M* (I don't agree)
    LCR, which can be closer to a balanced fund, at about 5%

By the way, to give an opinion on your starting post, I do thing QDSNX would be as good a choice as others available to accomplish the "smoother" portfolio ride.
  • Thanks, Mike, appreciate your comments.

Besides QDSNX, both JHQAX and BLNDX are on my watch list . I feel fairly comfortable with JHQAX's 10 year performance record and investment approach. Still working on the other two funds. Wish there was more information available on BLNDX's site, just very sketchy data even though the fund has an excellent risk/reward record.

Good luck,

Fred
  • BaluBalu said:

It has six managers four of whom have Ph.D.s.; the 2.62% ER is kind of justified! Joking aside, I generally do not pay attention to ER if a fund has return history. The ER includes acquired fund fees.

https://funds.aqr.com/funds/alternatives/aqr-diversifying-strategies-fund/qdsnx#about

Fact Sheet and Fund Profiles can only be downloaded as pdf at the link above.

As you observed, the ER includes acquired fund fees. Those six managers alluded to receive no fees from QDSNX (the prospectus shows a management fee of 0.00%). Management fees are paid to the managers of the underlying funds, that include different managers. For example, Michael A. Mendelson is a co-manager of AQRIX, an underlying fund, but does not help manage QDSNX.

As of today (April 6) the ER of QDSNX, net of reimbursements, is stated to be 1.72%.

MFO shows the maximum drawdown of QDSNX to be 4.5%. That's not during March 2023, but it does serve as a cap on the March 2023 drawdown.

There is no contradiction in any of the figures given. Rather, it is important to know precisely what any number represents. Otherwise, one is comparing apples and oranges.
  • edited April 6
    @msf,

The 2.62% ER I mentioned is the Net Expenses stated in the Annual Fund Operating Expenses table at the fund site I linked. I do not see the 1.72% you mention at that link. If that is the Adjusted ER, that is fine. I have no desire to debate which one should be focused, especially when I already mentioned I do not pay attention to ER. I had included the information because I know others talk about it and for many it is a serious consideration.

As to the fund manager qualifications and ER, I thought I was clear that I was joking. That table in its very first line clearly shows Management fees is zero. I personally do not worry about how much money any one in this world makes, even if they are my service providers. As a service provider, my charge out rate was an ungodly number and I have learned early in my career not to worry about what others made. Not sure why my joking about fund manager qualifications and ER attracted a lecture. As some in this forum know, my close family members are fund managers.

As to the fund's draw down related to the SVB tantrum, I originally looked that up on M* charts. Then verified with Yahoo Finance. NAV went from $11.98 to 11.30, for a draw down of 5.7%, which I had indicated that I rounded to 6%. The fund NAV did not reach that peak again until sometime in August, which I also had indicated earlier.

My C-suite clients never asked me to justify everything I wrote or said to them and never made fruity comments. Here, I spent more time trying to help about a fund I do not own and unlikely to ever own than I spent on any fund I ever invested in. I hope to remember to never to repeat and to adapt to the forum culture.
  • I think the difference in “March 2023 drawdown” is that the lowest NAV was achieved ($11.30) late in the month, but had recovered by the end of the month. The nadir was March 17th, then it hit $11.31 March 24th, but recovered to $11.47 by the end of the month. Portfolio visualizer uses beginning vs end of month to achieve its “March 2023 return.” Like msf, both can be true. @BaluBalu added value to this thread, as did everyone else posting; quibbling over various things did not add much to the discussion, however. The question in holding funds such as this (and I know @fred495 holds a lot of bond funds, so is looking for a smoother ride) is when do we get defensive during this melt up? That’s the $64,000 (or 6-7 figure) question.
  • I wrote that no number provided was wrong, but that they were representing different quantities. When reporting figures, it helps to be clear about what those figures measure. Otherwise it's easy to get tripped up using different metrics (such as monthly or daily performance).

For example, when using M* charts, sometimes M* graphs daily performance by default (when looking at short time periods), and sometimes M* graphs monthly performance by default (for longer, multiyear periods such as 5 years).

With respect to the fund's ER, the May 2023 prospectus says that it is 1.72%. The fund just put out a supplement saying that the ER is 2.62%. Even if one doesn't care about the size of an ER, ISTM that one should care about changes in ER. They affect how one regards past performance. That is, had the ER in previous years been 90 basis points higher, the performance might have been 90 basis points lower.

But that's not the end of the story. The supplement dated April 1 says that the ER change is due to an anticipated implementation change in some of the underlying funds. It hasn't even happened yet.

If one views the anticipated change in ER as merely a formality (as does M* when it calculates adjusted expense ratios), then the "true" (effective) ER remains 1.62%. If one views the anticipated change as something more than a formality, then perhaps one should expect future performance to be diminished by 90 basis points.

• edited April 6
    MikeM said:

@fred495, to add to the conversation and add to your post, which I think is a good one, I'm wondering if others, especially those near or in retirement, own or are looking at alternative type 'absolute return' funds in their portfolio. I actually like the idea of some percentage of these to smooth out the ride. Problem (maybe) is that there are so many in the alternative section to choose and they can be vastly different.

So, I'll give the ones I'm using. If others want to chime in that would be great.

I hold:
    JHQAX, at about 10%, an options fund recently discussed in this month's commentary by @Devo
    BLNDX/REMIX at about 5%, a multi asset fund, labeled as a L/S by M* (I don't agree)
    LCR, which can be closer to a balanced fund, at about 5%

By the way, to give an opinion on your starting post, I do thing QDSNX would be as good a choice as others available to accomplish the "smoother" portfolio ride.

@MikeM - those are great ideas for the "smoother ride" approach. I have a few more suggestions:

-PSFF - FOF for options - prefer it to JHQAX, but really the same space.
    -RSIVX Lower SD than LCR, but also lower Returns. Very conservative.

• edited April 6
    Delete
  • OP (Fred):

I am a soon-to-be early retiree. (Had planned to retire in Aug 2020, but COVID arrived, and my employer sent me home to work from my sofa -- so I decided to hang around a few years more, not out of financial necessity, but by choice...)

I mention this only because most of my lifetime investment contributions have been made. My primary concern is not maximizing return. Rather its to preserve and protect principal and the purchasing value thereof.. I've 'made it'. I don't wish to 'lose it'.

I discovered QDSNX at the end of last year -- on these message boards. I discovered REMIX (BLDNX), in the same time period. Based on their volatility/performance/risk-management philosophies, I opened positions in both funds very early in 2024, and have added to them periodically. QDSNX in particular seems to be positioned to benefit (modestly) during hard "down days" in the market.

Excepting my company plan -- which has the typical, plain-vanilla, unhedged, indexed type limited choices, QDSNX and REMIX are the 2nd and 3rd largest , non-cash positions in each of my accounts. The largest position is BAMBX -- another fund classified as 'alternative', but which I view as a tremendous bond fund substitute.

When the next recession/bear market hits, I will likely re-deploy more capital to more conventional / unhedged ETFs/funds, at lower prices. Until that happens, given the stretched valuations and exuberant market sentiment, I'm very content to rely on risk-managed funds to eke out returns.

• @Edmond, if you are still in the company plan, why not roll it over to someplace you prefer?
  • edited April 7
    WABAC,
    My plan penalizes rollovers for those under 59 1/2. -- The punishment is 6 months of no contribution (which means I pay more taxes this year) -- which also means 6 months without a 7% company match.