Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

New Low for CNBC

edited December 2012 in Off-Topic
"Fiscal Cliff Countdown Clock" - LOL - Designed to scare the #*!# out of Ya. (and sell a few more commercials).

Let's see, they could push up the ratings even more displaying a clock showing when the next person will be killed by a drunk driver. Or perhaps when the next teenage daughter will have unprotected sex. God forbid Ricky, Joe & Jim get wind of the asteroid set to pass near Earth April 13, 2023. Now, there's a really big clock. Let's hope Jon Stewart tries to talk some sense into these idiots before the hysteria gets out of control. (You'll recall he sat Cramer down & had a nice chat a few years back.)

Oh, the issue's real here. I posted a link, a transcript from PBS, on the issue many months back. Before it was front page news. Here's the link to that post from last March. (Noticed that Old Joe responded. Do hope all is well with him.)
http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/index.php?p=/discussion/2544/norm-ornstein-on-dysfunction-over-budget-and-perfect-storm-brewing#Item_3

Rumors will continue to drive the markets and I'm a little overweight equities. Next time Boehner opens his mouth & uses the word "progress", markets will bounce & will be a good day to lighten up.

Article: Don't Fall for the Fiscal Cliff Hype
http://investorplace.com/2012/12/dont-fall-for-the-fiscal-cliff-hype-vix-wmt-cost-fb-tif-bbby/

Comments

• edited December 2012
    I thought maybe this was in regards to a new low in ratings. As for "lows", "Fiscal Cliff Countdown Clock" is silly - I don't think there won't be a market reaction, but a "clock" would suggest the channel doesn't have much else to do to inform its few remaining viewers. I haven't watched CNBC in several months and ... it's nice.

Cramer and very, very annoying British reporter Simon Hobbs got into a whole thing last August where Cramer acted like he can't be a pollyanna ("...I learned my lesson, too: "You can't be as confident as you'd like.") again due to how much grief he took over Bear Stearns. I thought Cramer was going to deck him. There occasionally seems like a fair amount of tension on CNBC - especially Kernan and Sorkin in the morning, with a bored Kernan just lobbing insults at Sorkin while Becky Quick tries to be the disinterested referee.

Plus, you have some of the CNBC people on the "Today" show on weekend mornings, and it's ... kinda awkward. Or, better yet, "Squawkward."

In an attempt to try to be healthy, I've begun walking/exercise. I've walked over 50 miles in the last two weeks. Walking for a couple of hours a day is actually a far better way to ponder markets and strategy than sitting in front of CNBC (or even the computer.)

As for the attempt to be healthy, I just think health issues in the world are going to get to the point where enough people know someone close to them with a health/food related problem that you're going to see noticeable changes in the next 5-10 years in the way people eat. There's going to be so many people that people who aren't to the "problem" stage yet are going to look around and go, "****, I'd better change the way I eat/be more active, etc"
  • edited December 2012
    The walking is awesome Scott. Congrats. I'm barking up the same tree. Cold here in Mi in winter, so outdoor walking is tough. Been doing the treadmill every day at local gym. Take Care
  • Reply to @scott: between your thoughtful write ups for MFO and 50 mile walks, do you find time for the paid work? if yes, do they hire? :)
  • Howdy folks,

Yeay, I remember Gary saying some 10 years ago, that he always muted CNBC so he could focus on watching the tape. Didn't want to listen to any of the talking heads speaking from position.

However, what we need to keep in mind that the media themselves are a class of talking head speaking from position. Witness the last election and how everyone was hellbent on making it a tight race even it it wasn't. And this doesn't even mention the fleecing of the conservative right by their own conservative media machine. Geez, that was a brutal exercise in putting your privates out on the street so they could be run over repeatedlly. Here in Michigan, Matty Moroun spent $34M of his own to try and fight a bridge by pushing a constitutional amendment. He lost 2 to 1. teehehe;-)

Nopers, the media has to do everything possible to capture eyeballs and stimulate interest even where none is deserved.

peace,

rono
  • At least there aren't as many folks there to watch the mess. From Seeking Alpha, August 8 2012.

What Went Wrong - - the Facts

CNBC is getting killed on the ratings. There is a death spiral as their appeal shrinks and they respond in a way that makes it worse.

CNBC Ratings Fall to 7 Year Lows

Squawk Box (6-9 a.m.) is supposed to prime traders before the bell. The show posted its lowest rated its time block since Q4 2006.
    The Closing Bell (3-5 p.m.) is supposed to wrap up the day's action. The slot posted its fifth-lowest rating in total viewers and second-lowest ratings in the key 25-54 demographic since 1997.
    Fast Money (5-6 p.m.) is focused almost specifically on swing trading stocks. That time slot showed the lowest rating for the 25-54 demo since 1997 - and lowest in total viewers since Fast Money launched in 2006.

This is merely a summary. It is actually even worse. Kudlow is losing to Lou Dobbs, etc. It is across the board.
  • Hello to all,
    I quit watching cnbc due to the graphics flashing accross the screen.
    it made it difficult to watch or listen to the financial news. thanks to
    all on MFO for the opinions and information to greatly help my investing
    results.
    REGARDS
    circa33
  • Political ranting everyday is turning people off. They have become too political in their rhetoric.

They should concentrate on bringing business news and investment info for the 98%. There are far more regular investors than traders. If they only make programs for traders they will continue to lose audience.
  • Howdy circa33,
    Hoping you and yours are doing well. That time of the year again in your area and in Michigan for the ground to attempt to become frozen and covered with that frozen water stuff, eh?
    Take care,
    Catch
  • circa33,
    Hi catch22
    truckers hauling sugar beets now. lowest temp so far is 17deg.
    We are still using fidelity bond funds fagix, sphix fbndx etc. results
    have been excellent for us.wife & me. Big birthday for me next year
    thanx again for sharing your and others expertise. Hi to Skeeter, oj
    sorry for a long off topic speech. still have 68.
    REGARDS to all
    circa33
  • Howdy,
    Good points about ratings. I haven't watched Kudlow in ten years and haven't been able to hack Kernan for quite some time. Bloomberg is much better and besides, Morning Joe is more entertaining.

Peace,
    Rono
  • I recently heard a presentation by Peter Diamandis (founder of Singularity University), in which he said "The media are drug pushers, and negative news is their drug of choice." I have used this several times since. It is spot on. There is very little journalism anymore. It is almost all hype, scare, and panic. Whatever they can do to sell advertising.
  • CNBC's ratings began to fall the day(s) Mark Haynes died and Erin Burnett left. With Mark Haynes there was a modicum of pretense about being a business news program and reporting items that may have investable content. With Joe Kernan assuming Haynes' position, it has become a non-stop extreme right-wing rant and should be retitled Fox Business News Lite. Throw in libertarian anarchist nut-case Rick Santelli and Larry Kudlow, who believes the sole function of the U.S. government is to enable corporate profits without regulations of any sort (to hell with the other 299,999,000 people in the country) and you have a thoroughly unwatchable program.

Why would anyone subject themselves to this when Bloomberg Business News is available.
  • Bloomberg is hardly an angel in this, either. I vividly recall on the day of the FLASH CRASH, one of the commentators on the floor of the stock exchange. In answer to a question from one of the info-anchors of "What should investors do?", the guy said "You gotta sell everything!" Oh, yeah. Really great advice from another "crisis du jour" driven network. That was the last time I listened to them live.
  • Reply to @BobC:

Hi Bob,

Hope you're doing well.

You're spot on. The panic and fear are the weapon of the conservative media AND the east coast media. How about the birthers and those that keep calling Obama a muslim. Listen to talk radio and it's all fearmongering.

And so it goes,

peace,

rono