Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

TIAA/CREF VAs at MFO

edited December 2023 in MFO Premium
Some here have TIAA accounts (403b, 457, IRAs). MFO Premium recognizes TIAA/CREF VA special tickers (MFO/Lipper). Ordering below is from the highest to lowest ERs. Unfortunately, the MFO/Lipper naming of R1 and R3 classes is wrong. The newest R4 class is omitted here.

CREF Bond Market IF-MTJQ / IF-CMQ9 / IF-CMR2

CREF Equity Index IF-MDMF / IF-CMQ7 / CMQ8; there is also a lone ticker IF-BZKF without ER, but just seems IF-MDMF.

CREF Global Equity IF-SKRL / IF-CMQ5 / IF-CMQ6

CREF Growth IF-FDWD / IF-CMQ3 / IF-CMQ4

CREF ILB IF-WPZK / IF-CMP9 / IF-CMQ2

CREF Social Choice IF-THMV / IF-CMP3 / IF-CMP4

CREF Stock IF-CBMF / IF-CMP5 / IF-CMP6

CREF M-Mkt IF-RWDV / IF-CMP7 / IF-CMP8

TIAA Real Estate Account (T-REA) IF-SMZQ

Save the following MFO Watchlists (MFO Portfolios without specified weights; equal-weights are assumed) for easy access to tickers:

TIAA/CREF VAs True R1 (Watchlist)
IF-MTJQ IF-MDMF IF-SKRL IF-FDWD IF-WPZK IF-THMV IF-CBMF IF-RWDV IF-SMZQ

TIAA/CREF VAs R2 (Watchlist)
IF-CMQ9 IF-CMQ7 IF-CMQ5 IF-CMQ3 IF-CMP9 IF-CMP3 IF-CMP5 IF-CMP7 IF-SMZQ

TIAA/CREF VAs True R3 (Watchlist)
IF-CMR2 IF-CMQ8 IF-CMQ6 IF-CMQ4 IF-CMQ2 IF-CMP4 IF-CMP6 IF-CMP8 IF-SMZQ

Listed TIAA-CREF mutual fund/OEF tickers are recognized normally.

LINK

Edit/Add. MFO Premium Pointers https://ybbpersonalfinance.proboards.com/thread/539/mfo-premium

Comments

• For the funds without listed tickers, would you rather the ticker we assign be the CUSIP number? Or, perhaps ISIN?

The IF- is our prefix designation, then we add a unique Lipper assigned symbol.

What would be most helpful?
  • edited February 27
    I figured too that IF-TICKER were something internal to MFO Premium and Lipper. But many 6-character VA tickers (Qxxxxx) are now recognized by Yahoo Finance, StockCharts, and the firms themselves. So, one simple option could be to just setup a table lookup for Lipper tickers and Qxxxxx, and make these Qxxxxx recognizable by MFO Premium; CUSIP# would make it more difficult.

CREF Stock R1 QCSTRX; MFO IF-CBMF,

CREF Stock R2 QCSTPX; MFO IF-CMP5,

CREF Stock R3 QCSTIX; MFO IF-CMP6.

Example links for CREF Stock R2 QCSTPX
    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/QCSTpX
    https://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=qcstpx
    https://www.tiaa.org/public/investment-performance/investment/profile?ticker=268540687

• edited February 27
    I can confirm that portfolios with insurance funds IF-TICKERS are now running normally. My saved MFO Premium portfolios are now unstuck.

So, if your portfolio has a mix of mutual funds/OEFs, ETFs, CEFs, IF-TICKERS, the MFO Premium can run it. This may be a work 401k/403b/457 plan or a variable-annuity/insurance portfolio that you may have.

Moreover, the MFO Premium has longer histories of IF-TICKERS than the insurance firms may provide at their websites.

I don't know of any other portfolio analytics software that can do that. I am familiar with M* Portfolio, M* Investor, Portfolio Visualizer, Stock Rover - even have primers for their use.

Of course, MFO has its limitations too - it won't handle stocks, and it isn't for portfolio transactions, just portfolio analytics.

Thanks @Charles.
  • edited February 27
    If there is a listed ticker in Lipper's database, that takes priority and we do not assign our own.

Here are the four classes of fund in Lipper's most recent database:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmF1g-5ef-jI1-4Css7MfmghR-z3sg?e=ZG9voU

I will contact lipper to see if these listed tickers can be added to their database.
  • edited February 27
    @yogibearbull.

"Unfortunately, the MFO/Lipper naming of R1 and R3 classes is wrong."

I just ran these ... for the stock account ... R1 and R3s look right to me ... CUSIPs match.

Are you still seeing the discrepancy?

I do have inquiry into Lipp re: listed tickers.

I submitted all the TIFF-CREF Insurance Funds ... below are names (lipper sym):

CREF Core Bond Account;R1 (CMR2)
    CREF Core Bond Account;R2 (CMQ9)
    CREF Core Bond Account;R3 (MTJQ)
    CREF Core Bond Account;R4 (F89J)
    CREF Equity Index Accoun;R1 (CMQ8)
    CREF Equity Index Account;R2 (CMQ7)
    CREF Equity Index Account;R3 (MDMF)
    CREF Equity Index Account;R4 (F896)
    CREF Global Equity Account;R1 (CMQ6)
    CREF Global Equity Account;R2 (CMQ5)
    CREF Global Equity Account;R3 (SKRL)
    CREF Global Equity Account;R4 (F7Z9)
    CREF Growth Account;R1 (CMQ4)
    CREF Growth Account;R2 (CMQ3)
    CREF Growth Account;R3 (FDWD)
    CREF Growth Account;R4 (F895)
    CREF Inflation-Linked Bond Account;R1 (CMQ2)
    CREF Inflation-Linked Bond Account;R2 (CMP9)
    CREF Inflation-Linked Bond Account;R3 (WPZK)
    CREF Inflation-Linked Bond Account;R4 (F82K)
    CREF Money Market Account;R1 (CMP8)
    CREF Money Market Account;R2 (CMP7)
    CREF Money Market Account;R3 (RWDV)
    CREF Money Market Account;R4 (F82J)
    CREF Social Choice Account;R1 (CMP4)
    CREF Social Choice Account;R2 (CMP3)
    CREF Social Choice Account;R3 (THMV)
    CREF Social Choice Account;R4 (F7Z8)
    CREF Stock Account;R1 (CMP6)
    CREF Stock Account;R2 (CMP5)
    CREF Stock Account;R3 (CBMF)
    CREF Stock Account;R4 (F7Z3)

c
  • edited February 27
    @Charles, R1 & R3 classes were/are flipped. R1 is the oldest and the highest ER class, R3 is newer and the lowest ER class. R2 is also newer but it is correct - nothing to flip it with.

Lipper may have just "assumed" that the oldest classes were institutional - I am guessing.

Compare

My List
    CREF Stock R1 QCSTRX; MFO IF-CBMF,
    CREF Stock R2 QCSTPX; MFO IF-CMP5,
    CREF Stock R3 QCSTIX; MFO IF-CMP6

Your List
    CREF Stock Account;R1 (CMP6)
    CREF Stock Account;R2 (CMP5)
    CREF Stock Account;R3 (CBMF)

MFO Premium Run - see flip from the ERs shown. Correct ERs are R1 0.48%, R2 0.32%, R3 0.25%.
    https://i.ibb.co/DQqxz1D/Screenshot-2024-02-27-20-06-45.png

• I think the issue is between TIAA and Lipper.

Here's disclaimer on er from TIAA:

* The performance shown for Classes R1, R2 and R4 that is prior to their respective inception dates is based on the performance of the Accounts’ Class R3. The performance for Classes R1 and R2 for periods prior to their inception has not been restated to reflect the current expenses of Classes R1 or R2, which may be higher or lower than Class R3 for the same period. The performance for Class R4 for periods prior to its inception has not been restated to reflect the lower expenses of Class R4. Class R3 is now considered the oldest share class for CREF, previously it was R1.

I believe Lipper and TIAA have not re-sync'd the expense ratio after TIAA's update. I have confirmed CUSIPs but Lipper's er's appear reversed between R1 and R3.

Working with them now to resolve.

Hoping too to get Tickers added.
  • edited February 28
    I think TIAA has a department that comes up with the most unintuitive & complicated ways of doing things.

CREF Stock goes back to 07/1952 & was the 1st VA in the US (world?). TIAA kept it as single class with ER that applied to all - tiny to giant institutions. Lots of small institutions were happy, but not the big ones.

So, TIAA changed CREF to multi-classes in 04/2015: R1 (highest ER), R2 (ER similar to the old single-class ER), R3 (lowest ER).

Soon after 2015, only CREF R1 displayed the history to 1952, a bad decision IMO. So, as your bold-text shows, the old history was later attached to CREF R3.

As you can imagine, all sorts of assumptions go into using old history data when ERs differ.

If all along, TIAA just attached the old history to R2, that would have been the simple & clean YBB solution.

However, since 2015, CREF R1 has been the highest ER class, R3 the lowest ER class. There have not been any changes to this. I don't know how long Lipper has had it backwards - my guess is since 04/2015. Somebody at Lipper should have notices the error as standard retirement fund practice is that R1 have the highest ERs, and higher numbered R3 or R6, etc have the lowest ERs.

Fixing this may not be the highest priority for Lipper that has gone through its many lives: LSEG-Refinitiv-Thomson-Reuters-LIPPER.

I don't bother with the newest CREF R4 as they are mostly through advisory channels.

• edited March 17
    MFO Premium Tickers - Portfolios, Watchlists, Charts

Lipper (so, MFO Premium too) has FIXED the CREF VA class flip between R1 & R3. Rather than editing the previous posts, here are now the CORRECT tickers presented in 2 groups. In the 12/7/23 OP, a simple way to think of this CHANGE is that the MFO Premium ticker orders shown now are from the lowest ER to the highest ER, or R3, R2, R1 (vs previously the highest ER to the lowest ER, or R1, R2, R3).

TIAA (Direct) Real Estate VA IF-SMZQ (alternatives) still has a single class and is included in the first group.

Note the MFO Premium capabilities of handling the VAs, OEFs, ETFs, CEFs in an integrated way for portfolios, watchlists, charting. So, if your work 401k/403b offers some insurance VAs as well as mutual funds and ETFs (via brokerage window), then MFO Premium is to tool to analyze them all.

R1
    CREF Stock, Hybrid & Real Estate VAs (R1) & VTSAX (US Total Stock)
    IF-CMQ8 IF-CMQ6 IF-CMQ4 IF-CMP4 IF-CMP6 IF-SMZQ VTSAX

CREF Bond VAs (R1) & VBTLX (US Total Bond)
    IF-CMR2 IF-CMQ2 IF-CMP8 VBTLX

R2
    CREF Stock, Hybrid & Real Estate VAs (R2) & VTSAX (US Total Stock)
    IF-CMQ7 IF-CMQ5 IF-CMQ3 IF-CMP3 IF-CMP5 IF-SMZQ VTSAX

CREF Bond VAs (R2) & VBTLX (US Total Bond)
    IF-CMQ9 IF-CMP9 IF-CMP7 VBTLX

R3
    CREF Stock, Hybrid & Real Estate VAs (R3) & VTSAX (US Total Stock)
    IF-MDMF IF-SKRL IF-FDWD IF-THMV IF-CBMF IF-SMZQ VTSAX

CREF Bond VAs (R3) & VBTLX (US Total Bond)
    IF-MTJQ IF-WPZK IF-RWDV VBTLX

Class Verification Portfolio Runs, 3/17/24
    CREF Stock IF-CBMF IF-CMP5 IF-CMP6
    CREF Social Choice IF-THMV IF-CMP3 IF-CMP4

LINK

Thanks @Charles & @David_Snowball.
  • edited March 22
    You are very welcome ybb, especially for enlightening me (and the folks on the board) about VAs. Lipper fussed, however, extending the update to include the TIAA listed tickers, apparently because they are 6-character tickers ... at least for now. In any case, MFOP maintains its own fund name file. And, we will start maintaining our own ticker substitution file shortly, so in future you will be able to pull-up the TIAA funds by listed ticker (for current portfolios, searches, and watchlists, the substitutions will be done automatically, and if you like, you can then export/save the updated tickers to your profile). Thank you again, c

TIAA (Lipper/MFOP)
    QCBMRX (IF-CMR2)
    QCBMP (IF-CMQ9)
    QCBMIX (IF-MTJQ)
    QCBMFX (IF-F89J)
    QCEQRX (IF-CMQ8)
    QCEQPX (IF-CMQ7)
    QCEQIX (IF-MDMF)
    QCEQFX (IF-F896)
    QCGLRX (IF-CMQ6)
    QCGLPX (IF-CMQ5)
    QCGLIX (IF-SKRL)
    QCGLFX (IF-F7Z9)
    QCGRRX (IF-CMQ4)
    QCGRPX (IF-CMQ3)
    QCGRIX (IF-FDWD)
    QCGRFX (IF-F895)
    QCILRX (IF-CMQ2)
    QCILPX (IF-CMP9)
    QCILIX (IF-WPZK)
    QCILFX (IF-F82K)
    QCMMRX (IF-CMP8)
    QCMMPX (IF-CMP7)
    QCMMIX (IF-RWDV)
    QCMMFX (IF-F82J)
    QCSCRX (IF-CMP4)
    QCSCPX (IF-CMP3)
    QCSCIX (IF-THMV)
    QSCCFX (IF-F7Z8)
    QCSTRX (IF-CMP6)
    QCSTPX (IF-CMP5)
    QCSTIX (IF-CBMF)
    QCSTFX (IF-F7Z3)
  • Thanks for this great news about Q-tickers for TIAA/CREF VAs initially. The MFO Premium fix will be appreciated while Lipper catches up with the rest of data providers.
  • edited March 24
    Vow, it's done (almost)! Thanks @Charles!!

In this massive change at MFO Premium, there were (only) 2 issues:

CREF Bond Market R2 ticker is wrong, QCBMP should be QCBMPX (note the missing X)

TIAA REA is still the old IF-SMZQ and should also be changed to QREARX. Of course, the focus has been on many CREF VAs, but there is also 1 TIAA VA.

As in the past, the MFO Premium won't run at all until I changed ALL old IF-xxxx to new Qxxxxx in ALL saved Portfolios. This should be fixed - Portfolio should run so long as the tickers for the current run are all valid, and it shouldn't matter what the other saved Portfolios have. Anyway, this is how I found the residual problems for CREF Bond R2 and TIAA REA below (so, I had to make them "wrong" temporarily).

All related history and updates can be found at this link thread,
    https://ybbpersonalfinance.proboards.com/post/1405/thread
  • @yogibearbull. Got them both! I will post when live.

Yes, I sent you email last night ... the logic handling changed symbols in saved Watchlists and Searches will also be active with next update tonight ... don't bother changing manually.
  • edited March 24
    If you have any other families that have listed tickers not in MFOP, please let me know ... easy to address now. c
  • A minor issue is that the following list (for CREF Stock) runs fine under Portfolio, but not under Watchlist.

QCSTIX QCSTPX QCSTRX

Each ticker runs fine individually under the Watchlist, but defaults to QCSTIX.

The previous list ran fine under both, but of course, those are gone now,
    IF-CBMF IF-CMP5 IF-CMP6

Problem may be that in the Q-version, these 3 tickers are recognized as classes of the same VA/fund, and MFO may be complaining why run 3 classes simultaneously. This wasn't a problem with the old IF-tickers.

A workout is just to use More Basic Info - All Classes and then the list runs properly. (BTW, the interim instructions need to be adjusted to indicate that All Classes option is within More Basic Info, not Basic Info.
  • Just uploaded latest update ... should all work.
  • edited March 24
    MultiSearch will default to oldest share class, unless you select all share classes. Yeah, the IF- funds may have slipped through previously, like the ETFs.

Would like to eliminate selection of class distinction for symbol searches, just haven't determined best approach. But, I think it would be good enhancement.

Will need to wait till after flows. Finishing that is now first priority (after any bugs).

Portfolios doesn't care about share class, if that helps.
  • edited March 25
    @Charles, thanks. Here is my experience after the latest MFO Premium update.

Background - Yesterday (3/24/24), I had manually changed all old TIAA/CREF IF-xxxx tickers to Qxxxxx except the 2 residuals QCBMP (CREF Bond R2) and IF-SMZQ (TIAA REA).

Today (3/25/24):

1. It required a MANUAL change of QCBMP (CREF Bond R2) to QCBMPX. But on Save, it also AUTO-changed all references of old IF-SMZQ (TIAA REA) to new QREARX. So, the AUTO-substitution logic for old TIAA/CREF IF-xxxx to new Qxxxxx seems to be working.

But users should be aware that a WARNING screen may open up listing all affected saved portfolio by the update that will be overwritten and the choices are to Overwrite or Cancel. Users may be surprised by this (especially for their saved portfolios that they didn't touch) but should select Overwrite option.

Portfolios and Multisearch just won't run now with old IF-xxxx tickers (a lone exception is IF-BZKF for CREF Equity Index, but its Qxxxxx tickers transitioned fine). The changes aren't dynamic or real-time, but one-time to Overwrite.

2. As for the minor issue with trying to run several classes (R3, R2, R1) of CREF Stock - QCSTIX QCSTPX QCSTRX, it's the same and I understand @Charles' explanation:
    It runs under Portfolio.
    It doesn't run under Watchlist default (with Basic Info).
    It runs under Watchlist with ALL Classes checked in More Basic Info.

3. I will look around for OTHER Qxxxxx tickers. Many are recognized by Yahoo Finance, M* Investor, Nasdaq, Stockcharts (few), but one has to know them. Not all VAs have Qxxxxx tickers. I don't know if Nasdaq would provide a list of all supported 6-character Qxxxxx tickers.

Of course, Multisearch pulls up VAs with IF-xxxx tickers from Fidelity, Transamerica, T Rowe Price, Vanguard, etc (and of course, TIAA/CREF, but that is done now), but I don't see an easy way to find which have Qxxxxx tickers. Reverse lookup from Qxxxxx to VA Names to IF-xxxx seems a manually laborious process. I think only Lipper may do something about this if/when it upgrades its system to recognize the 6-character Qxxxxx tickers.
  • Thank you ybb. The update still had QCBMP instead of QCBMPX. Will get that fixed.