Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Excellent Barron’s Roundtable / 1/15/24 Edition

edited January 14 in Other Investing
Barron’s Subtitle: “The Market’s Gains Won’t Come Easy From Here”

This is the first of two sessions. This year’s participants are: John W. Rogers Jr., Todd Ahlsten, Meryl Witmer, Rajiv Jain, Mario Gabelli, Scott Black, David Giroux, Sonal Desai, William Priest, Henry Ellenbogen, Abby Joseph Cohen.

It’s an insightful free-wheeling discussion. Short on specific buy recommendations but an exhaustive look at how investing is likely to be affected by domestic / geopolitics (in the broadest sense) along with the economic backdrop. Most foresee a flat to down year for U.S. equities. David Giroux expects a range of +5% / -5% this year - but looking out 5 years sees annual returns in the 6.5% area. He wasn’t too explicit, but seemed to be referencing his own fund (PRWCX) which he termed a “balanced” fund.

Giroux’s list of “likes” is long (excerpt): ”We see good value in managed care, life-sciences tools, utility stocks, and waste. We still see good value in companies like Microsoft, Intuit, and Salesforce, which has a low valuation … we are seeing good value in energy now as some supply-and-demand dynamics have changed.” And he’s still likes “high quality high yield bonds” (The latter struck me as a bit of an oxymoron.)

Graham Holdings (GHC) was recommended strongly by Witmer. Others joined in and much time was devoted to its numerous components including broadcasting, education and health care. It hurt a bit because I recently unloaded this one after what I thought was a nice run-up. Knowing when to sell a stock is a skill that escapes me. Deere (DE) is another stock that received favorable comment.

Participants noted that the economists / market prognosticators were nearly 100% wrong a year ago when recession was widely seen as “baked in the cake” and the market appeared headed for another bad year. Someone quipped that every year one of them says “It’s a stock picker’s market.” (When isn’t it?) Much was said of the approaching U.S. election and mostly with foreboding. One of the “optimists” (Witmer) predicted the U.S. will somehow “muddle through” without significant damage. Some think the markets will rebound late in the year after the election. The eternal optimism of Buffett and Templeton were noted in this regard. But the general feeling was far from optimistic. Most (if not all) find big cap valuations too rich, while small cap value is greatly undervalued. “De-globalization” is seen by some as a headwind, reducing efficiencies and adding costs for consumers. Franklin’s Sonal Desai says the “real interest rate” (inflation +) is in the 4-5% range - much above what the market currently assumes - implying rates will rise by year’s end.

Really recommend this article!

Comments

• edited January 14
    Thanks for putting that together, @hank. Sonal Desai was just on "Real Yield" again, on Friday evening. Reasoned, smart, easy to listen to. Years ago, I realized that Abby Joseph Cohen is a perma-bull. And often missed the mark, when checking results after she'd offered something. The entire Panel certainly are among the most eminent to be found.
  • edited January 14
    The typical pattern of these annual Roundtables is that Part 1 has lots of macro/big-picture stuff on markets, economy, geopolitics, followed by specific recommendations by only 2-3 panelists. Then, Parts 2 and 3 will have recommendations from the rest of the panelists.

In some years, there are only 2 parts, but 3 parts are mentioned for 2024. Frankly, Part 3 gets quite stale, and all the stuff has leaked out by then. Remember that this year the Roundtable was held on January 8, 2024.

Rarely, if there is some huge event, Barron's may reach out to the remaining panelists for revisions to their upcoming recommendations.

There were 2 new panelists this year - John Rogers (Ariel) and Rajiv Jain (GQG).

In comparing with 2023 Roundtable, Rupal Bhansali left Ariel to start her own firm, and Ariel CEO Rogers replaced her. There was 1 net addition in that 2023 had 10 panelists, 2024 had 11.

Mario Gabelli has been a Roundtable member for as long as I have followed these Roundtables.
  • yes, it was quite an excellent article. Europe certainly seems to be a mess at present, and EM is looking enticing.
  • edited January 14
    I gave up on EM and International stuff some years ago. Way back in '08-09, I did very well with EM bonds. Took some good advice from someone here and re-diversified soon after the GFC. Europe, it seems to me, will forever be playing both ends off the middle: a common currency, but no central, unified budget. Each country does its own thing. In 2009, I was getting crucified visiting Ireland with the exchange rate at $1.51 to the euro. But now? Big difference. As screwed up and indebted as we are in the US, it's the cleanest dirty shirt in the hamper. Africa is a hot mess forever. Middle East? Not a word is necessary.
  • "Africa is a hot mess forever. Middle East? Not a word is necessary."

Succinct and very accurate.
  • edited January 15
    Good article, indeed. Interesting that they even mentioned deglobalization and supply chain changes. If this change becomes permanent, the investable universe would becomes much smaller.

@Crash, Devo, our MFO contributor posted a nice article on oversea investing this month. It pretty much sum up my thinking in recent years. If one ventures into EM, make sure you pick experience fund managers, not indexing.
  • edited January 25
    Sven " If one ventures into EM, make sure you pick experience fund managers, not indexing."

FD: the above is good advice for most categories(stocks+bonds, that are not US LC.