Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The week that was, global etf's, various categories + heat map. Week ending April 26, 2024.

Wacky weed, Mary Jane and related leads the pack (MJ etf). One may presume this seems appropriate during these turbulent times; whether rolling one's own, baking some brownies or having a gummie.
I set the chart for the 5 day return, for the best to the worst % returns from last week.
Remain curious.
Catch

Comments

• edited November 2023
    Nice chart @Catch22

What’s not to like? 5 day return is a very short period to be sure. One stock I have that’s been comatose for over a year (gone nowhere) spiked 7+% in the last 2 trading days. It’s a conglomerate made up of a dozen or so small cap companies. That at least suggests small caps may be awakening.

The Russell 2000 on @Catch’s chart is showing +7.57% gain for the past 5 days. That’s in keeping with my own (limited) experience. For sure, the falling interest rates had much to do with this. Many of these companies borrow heavily and at higher interest rates than larger companies.
  • It was a GLOBAL rally.

"FOR THE WEEK (index changes only), DJIA +5.07%, SP500 +5.85%, Nasdaq Comp +6.61%, R2000 +7.56%. DJ Transports +7.06%; DJ Utilities +5.80%. (Rotating spot long Treasury TLT +3.86%) US$ index (spot) -1.40% (remains too strong over 100), oil/WTI futures -5.88%, gold futures +0.15%.

A good week in EUROPE (Denmark +5.72%, Norway +2.07%) and a good week in ASIA (New Zealand +4.27%, Philippines +0.45%). (A GLOBAL RALLY week)"
  • edited November 2023
    “It was a GLOBAL rally.”

Of course. I had a lot of other things rise last week (as did anyone who’s not sitting 100% in cash). Was just pointing out the sharp reversal in one segment (small caps). There’s been one or more recent threads in that regard.

"It's Almost Time to Buy Small-Caps" - from October 11
    https://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/61579/it-s-almost-time-to-buy-small-caps#latest
  • edited November 2023
    Some prognosticators believe small-caps will outperform large-caps if we can avoid a recession.
  • I'll take last weeks returns anytime !! I happen to look at Vanguards monthly statement & much to my surprise I found three funds I hold in taxable account to still be lacking a few $$$ from where they were at the beginning of Oct. !
    A recent T-bill matured & now trying to figure out where to put the dough ? Market rising , rates falling, I may keep it in MMF for a few days.

Hope your team wins today, Derf
  • edited December 2023
    The graphic is set for the 5 days ending November 1, Friday; for the best to worst % returns in select etf categories. One may then also select the one month column to align the one month return best to worst; or for the other listed time frame columns.
    Remain curious,
    Catch
  • The graphic is set for the 5 days ending November 17, Friday; for the best to worst % returns in select etf categories. SpaceX uses the term 'unscheduled disassembly' when a destructive event occurs during any stage of a pre-orbit launch. With about 6 weeks of equity/bond markets trading remaining for the year, our house is hoping there will not be any Unscheduled Portfolio Disassembly. Fingers crossed for no UPD, as numerous investment areas will have decent year ending performance.
    Remain curious,
    Catch
  • That is like recent Amtrak alert in DC that its trains are affected by "First Amendment related events".
  • Thanks for the Link @catch22
  • edited December 2023
    The graphic is set for the 5 days ending December 1, Friday; for the best to worst % returns in select etf categories. One may then also select the one month column to align the one month return best to worst; or for the other listed time frame columns.
    Remain curious,
    Catch
  • edited December 2023
    The graphic is set for the 5 days ending December 8, Friday; for the best to worst % returns in select etf categories. One may then also select the one month column to align the one month return best to worst; or for the other listed time frame columns.
    Remain curious,
    Catch
  • edited December 2023
    The graphic is set for the 5 days ending December 15, Friday; for the best to worst % returns in select etf categories. One may then also select the one month column to align the one month return best to worst; or for the other listed time frame columns.
    Remain curious,
    Catch
  • @catch22, but the most wonderful sector for the week was banking, KRE (regional) +8.1%, KBE +7.51%. Not found in your LONG list.
  • Hi @yogibearbull I'm glad you added these etf's. From my personal watch list, there seems to be some 'fishing' taking place for sectors that are finding a rotation 'into' from perhaps profit taking in other sectors that have had large runs this year. Maybe I should add a list of etf's from etfdb or similar that shows the top performers for the week that may not be on the broad global list. Thank you.
  • edited December 2023
    catch22 said:

Hi @yogibearbull I'm glad you added these etf's. From my personal watch list, there seems to be some 'fishing' taking place for sectors that are finding a rotation 'into' from perhaps profit taking in other sectors that have had large runs this year. Maybe I should add a list of etf's from etfdb or similar that shows the top performers for the week that may not be on the broad global list. Thank you.

May be two lists: 1 wk hot and 1 month hot. If 2 wk hot is possible, I would use that instead of 1 month hot. Also, if possible, there should be an additional filter to filter out based on minimum volume or min AUM.

• edited December 2023
    The graphic is set for the 5 days ending December 22, Friday; for the best to worst % returns in select etf categories. One may then also select the one month column to align the one month return best to worst; or for the other listed time frame columns.
    ADD an etf performance of your choosing, if you desire.
    Remain curious,
    Catch
  • edited January 6
    The graphic is set for the 5 days ending December 29, Friday; for the best to worst % returns in select etf categories. One may then also select the one month column to align the one month return best to worst; or for the other listed time frame columns.
    NOTE: select the 52 week performance column to obtain a 'near' YTD (2023) return for the categories.
    Remain curious,
    Catch
  • Always interesting. Thanks @catch22. Although, I never know if it's a key to further investment or a show of what I missed out on:)
  • Hi @MikeM et al You're welcome. The graphic link I use goes to Barcharts and doesn't include distributions. Generally, this is not a large problem to still allow for a quick and dirty look at an etf sector performance. The longer the time frame, and/or larger distributions begins to NOT provide correct information for 'total return'. An example especially shows in the fixed income areas or etf's that may provide high dividend rates.
    An example: The Barcharts indicates a 52 week gain of 4.3%. This works as an 'almost' YTD for this last trading week of the year; BUT the real YTD is 9.4% from both M* and Stockcharts, which include the total returns with distributions. One may always go to the source (issuer) of the etf for correct return data.
    An example of smaller total distribution amounts is for the QQQ etf. M* and Stockcharts indicate a total return for 2023 of 54.9%, and Invesco (QQQ) indicates 54.84% YTD, while the Barcharts link indicates 53.7% YTD.
    However, the Barcharts link I use still offers the best broad range of etf performances that I am aware of. And YES, we may all look back upon 2023 and wonder why didn't I/we invest in that sector.:)
    I will add a note in future posts.
  • edited January 13
    The graphic is set for the 5 days ending January 5, Friday; for the best to worst % returns in select etf categories. One may then also select the one month column to align the one month return best to worst; or for the other listed time frame columns.

*** Requested ADD: For the week and YTD
    --- EWW = -1.43% / -1.43% (I Shares, Mexico)

NOTE: 4 day market week, due to New Year holiday.
    Remain curious,
    Catch
  • @catch22 would it be worthwhile to add EWW (Mexico) to the Global list?
  • Interesting changes now that the holidaze punch bowl has been put away.

Of interest to me is the rebound (perhaps temporary, who knows) of utes, health, and staples.

The fixed income table doesn't seem to capture ultra-shorts and floaters, but from my watch list at M*, they were the only segments with a pulse last week.
  • edited January 6
    Hi @howaya I can't inject a ticker into the Barchart graphics list, but I did a manual search and manually added EWW, Mexico etf as a separate line item into my recent post. And yes, it is worthwhile; if it is of benefit. Note: EWW had a 40.4% return of 2023.
  • edited January 6
    Hi @WABAC The short trade week seemed to start with money moving to some of the laggards from 2023; but I don't find much to have held. One week into this new year after 2023's large run in growth and tech. can't be used to measure right now, IMHO. A lot of the growth/tech. etf's ranged from -3 to -5% to start the year. Although our house remains a tech. holdings bias. The only positive we have this past week is FHLC, Fido healthcare etf at +1.5%.

Our senior citizen(s) portfolio is at:
    --- 43%, MMKT***
    --- 38%, Equity; growth/tech./health related
    --- 19%, IG bond fund

*** Core Fido MMKT's = 5.01% average; one mmkt that must be purchased is FZDXX, that has a yield of 5.21%. We've thought about chasing MINT, etf, Pimco enhanced ultra short duration that returned +6.25% in 2023. The etf is on that performance path at this time, for 2024; starting the year at +.12% for the week. Too much going on right now, so we'll remain with holdings for a bit.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • hi @catch22. It's a change of pace out of the gate for Mr. Market. But we haven't even finished the first furlong.

I was not aware of FZDXX, and I'm at Fido| I'll have to look into that.

When I rearrange the deck chairs in my floating fate bond funds I'll post in the buy sell why thread. Still not tempted to venture too far out on duration. I'm not smart enough to consider enhanced Pimco funds.

Thinking about selling FSMEX from the IRA if there's enough of a run up. Been looking to reduce the field. We shall see. It's no mudder, but it's a lot of fun when it goes.
  • @WABAC Giddy up Mr. Market !
  • We'll make progress as soon as I get him straightened out

• edited January 6
    @WABAC
    Nice image !!!
    One has to purchase FZDXX mmkt like a fund, and also sell, if one chooses to use the monies to purchase something else; so you'd have a few days for settlement of the sake back in one's core mmkt. So, it doesn't function like a standard core mmkt at Fido invested in SPAXX or FDRXX. I did a bit of edit and bold for the next, to remove other wording that was not needed about Vanguard.

Next is a nice write about FZDXX from a year ago, by msf.

--- If a fund has a $100,000 minimum, is it OK if you invest with this amount and shortly afterwards, remove a large portion of the initial sum while maintaining the rest of the investment?
    Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what the fund requires for a maintenance balance, and then if you fail to maintain that balance, whether the fund company chooses to exercise its right to give you notice (if required) and close (or downgrade) your account.
    For taxable accounts, FZDXX requires $100K to open, but only $10K to maintain AND ($10K min to open in IRAs) . From its statutory prospectus:
    If your fund balance falls below $10,000 worth of shares for any reason and you do not increase your balance, Fidelity may sell all of your shares and send the proceeds to you after providing you with at least 30 days' notice to reestablish the minimum balance.
    So by prospectus, you're allowed to drop the balance by 90% with no consequences. And even if you drop the balance lower, it's up to the discretion of the fund company (here, Fidelity) to close out the account after appropriate notice.
    The reality is that for this particular fund, Fidelity is pretty lax. But don't push things too far. I did. For RMD purposes, I sold $10K of a fund in a Roth IRA and moved it to FZDXX ($10K min in IRAs). I announced to the Fidelity rep that my intent was that some of that be used for the RMD and the rest stay there to maintain open position in FZDXX. Even though this would drop the balance below the min; I would rely upon Fidelity's discretion not to close the account.
    While the rep acknowledged that Fidelity doesn't really close these accounts, my explicit acknowledgement was a bit too much for him. He (rightly) felt compelled to check with his back office whether this was okay before he put the trade through. The back office said what I was planning was fine and the rep placed the trade. But I did, inadvertently, put him in an awkward position.
    The bottom line is that it depends. If the rules allow a lower maintenance balance, all is well and good. If not, it's up to the fund company. In my experience, most times the fund company won't care. But sometimes it does act.
  • edited January 6
    Thanks @catch22. That's out of my league, but the info should be useful to others reading along.

By the way, the artist is Jo Mora. I wasn't aware that he was also a sculptor. I think he gives Russel and Remington a run for their money.
  • edited January 20
    The graphic is set for the 5 days ending January 12, Friday; for the best to worst % returns in select etf categories. One may then also select the one month column to align the one month return best to worst; or for the other listed time frame columns.

*** Requested ADD: For the week and YTD
    --- EWW = -.8% / -2.2% (I Shares, Mexico)

MMKT note: Fidelity mmkt's had a slight yield drop this week of -.02%. First drop in many months.

NOTE: 4 day market week, next week, due to MLK holiday.
    Remain curious,
    Catch