Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Let's Breathe…

beebee
edited November 2023 in Other Investing
When I was 8 years old I challenge myself to touch the bottom of the deep end.

We may have felt the bottom of the market this week, but consider this ...

The Fed's Index Finger

When my doctor does this I instantly cringe.

Long term investors need a leap of faith and a healthy dose of lubricate.

Hang in there everybody.

Comments

• Still breathing.

It wasn't that long ago we lived with 5.5% rates, or worse.
  • edited October 2023
    5.5% rates, 8% mortgages (I had one briefly in 2000) aren't 'new' -- they're just 'new' for folks (traders, advisors, and many in the media) who have never lived through it before. And by 'new' I also mean 'scary' b/c it's uncharted territory for them and perhaps their training/education/experiences.
  • @bee do I recall correctly you were in BRUFX? Are you, still? We have not moved wife's IRA from there.....riding it down. itch. scratch.
  • @Crash, yes, DCA down each month into BRUFX. A few years ago I migrated some of my HSA to Fidelity from Bruce Fund. About 25% of my HSA is with Bruce.
  • For 15+ years, we have been in a Bull Stock Market, bolstered by government stimulation and zero interest rates. That looks like an artificial set of conditions that was overdue to end. If you are holding your "breath" expecting those conditions to return anytime soon, I don't see that as likely. It appears that Banks are projecting 5% interest rates for quite a few more years, so stocks will likely have a formidable alternative for many investors' cash. I am breathing just fine with 5% interest rates, and I am not interested in "guessing" if we have hit the bottom of the stock market.
  • @bee glad to hear it. @dtconroe: surely correct.
  • We bought our two homes when interest rates were 10.5% and 8%. We refinanced the second mortgage when rates dropped to 6% and eventually paid it off at that rate. We survived.
  • Yes, 8.5% and 8% respectively for us, back in the 70s. We also survived. The rates for the last ten years or so were so low that everyone now seems to think that that was "normal".
  • "We may have felt the bottom of the market this week..."

Bee might have correctly called the (short-term?) bottom! We have a clairvoyant among us.
  • Does it matter that the 8% mortgage rates have resurfaced with real estate prices at substantial multiples of where they were bought in the past cycle when rates were there and where incomes haven’t grown at same multiples?
  • Devo said:

Does it matter that the 8% mortgage rates have resurfaced with real estate prices at substantial multiples of where they were bought in the past cycle when rates were there and where incomes haven’t grown at same multiples?

I'm sure it matters a lot if you're trying to buy in a place like Marin county. In Maricopa County, where we live now, I think there are still more options on the scale.
  • The first house we bought back around 1960 (+/-) had a interest rate of 6%. Of course, the price of the house was a lot less than it would be today and we had a lot less income. The funny part now, is that I remember laying in bed at night worrying about how I was going to make house payments of $88.50 each month. My how times have changed.
  • I dunno gents...I think the folks in the market buying a home for $500-775K are making more than you might think at least that's the younger bucks I work with...so the home might cost them 2-2.5x annual salary....they have the mind set date the rate and marry the price, something like that....keep in mind most of the homes selling today for $1M+ are bought with cold hard kash...
  • No, more like warm flimsy kash fresh off the money press.