Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A good week for maga

edited October 2023 in Off-Topic
They got a reasonable thread closed and the most extreme speaker of the house in US history.

Comments

• edited October 2023
    it doesn't end there.
    MAGA, yes. But also a Christian nationalist and fundamentalist. Likes to pit science AGAINST the bible. It's apples and oranges, but what does HE care? The country is in the shitter. A bunch of the ultra-liberal agenda I refuse to buy; but this guy is a wingnut from the other end of the universe. LSU. Should I say I'm not surprised? And I read that he taught or is teaching at the Falwell-branded Liberty Univ. in Lynchburg. Jaypers Holy Pigeon Farts!

Listen for the LSU reference in here. (Maybe this ought to be moved to the off-topic office?)

LYRICS:
    https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/randynewman/rednecks.html
  • Mike Johnson was among those who want to subvert 2020 election. Now he is not responding to these questions.
    A New York Times article last year called Johnson “the most important architect of the Electoral College objections” on Jan. 6, 2021. His argument to colleagues was that certain states’ changes to their voting procedures during the Covid-19 pandemic were unconstitutional, an argument that became more palatable to lawmakers than the fabricated claims of mass fraud. In all, 147 Republicans voted to block the certification of Joe Biden electors.

In mid-November 2020, Johnson gave a radio interview and echoed a discredited conspiracy theory involving Hugo Chávez and Dominion Voting Systems.

“In every election in American history, there’s some small element of fraud irregularity,” Johnson said. “But when you have it on a broad scale, when you have a software system that is used all around the country that is suspect because it came from Hugo Chávez in Venezuela, when you have testimonials of people that like this, but in large numbers, it begs to be litigated and investigated.”
    https://nbcnews.com/politics/congress/mike-johnson-house-speaker-republican-nominee-what-know-rcna122114

• Yes I agree this belongs in “off topic” but you can speculate on the investment implications of a Christian Nationalist ( I dont know what else to call him) Ultra Hard Right Conservative ( who believes the Government should criminalize what he thinks is “dangerous” bedroom behavior) being second in line to the Presidency.
  • The problem is that putting this discussion in off topic means that virtually no one will see it. The fact is that the actions of the party of ignorance and anti democratic motivations has undeniable implications for both America’s institutions and economic interests. IMHO when the maga twins post their vile lies we should collectively ignore them. They might get bored and go away and the powers here will have no reason to close threads. Unless they have other motivations.
  • Knock it off larryB...you are the guy who initiatied and brought the political snark into the other thread and others piled on and somehow folks were surprised that some/many disagree with your views and position and pushed back with similar snark.

Now you're calling to cancel others. Very mature of you.

It's a waste of everyone's time and not what they come to these boards for or what the focus should be on.

Take care, best regards,

Baseball Fan
  • I flagged your post larryB.

Why? Well. for one, it's off topic. But there's a little more to it.

When my brother went off his meds, all his emails were about politics. After a while, it didn't really matter what side he was on, or I am on.

When I see political rants, and when I see people speculating on the motives of the "powers" that run this board, I am reminded of my brother's suicide.

There is a place here for your political rants, if anyone wants to see them. I guarantee you, no one needs to see them.
  • WABAC thank you for doing that. I was thinking the same thing. Keep politics away from MFO.
  • It's sooo hilarious that it's 1000% always the Mean Libtard Snowflakes of MFO that bring politics into everything...yet then they blame conservatives for it. This is 2 posts now started by larryB showing how unhinged the lefty loons truly are.
  • edited October 2023
    Thanks @WABAC for putting it clearly. A poster who claims to have moved mostly (if not fully) into cash at “5%” starts a thread ostensibly about stocks but loaded with political suggestions from the get go. Things get out of control. Who would’ve guessed?

Flag? I’ve given up the effort as 3 of mine over the past 12 months led to no action. One was after a poster (August 16) in a moment of indiscretion told a longtime esteemed member to (F*** Off”.) Post stood for over a week until said poster reconsidered and edited out the offending reference. Maybe your flag will be better received.

To the question of whether “anybody reads” the OT board I’ll answer with a rhetorical question: Isn’t that the way it was intended? Presumably we come here mostly to read and share ideas about investing. The OT board facilitates that purpose by allowing a “place of refuge” for those posters who occasionally want to discuss other things. And we rarely encounter the type of hopeless “spillover” there resulting in name calling and accusations that almost predictably occurs when the same topics appear in the investment part of the forum.

@WABAC- I’m deeply saddened to hear of your brother. It reminds me of an old friend I spoke with about a year ago. His adult son had been expressing suicidal thoughts for some time. The father added that the son was depressed and seemed obsessed with what he believed was the “big steal” of the 2020 Prez election. It was literally all he thought and talked about. And, as in your brother’s case, this was related to his email contacts and social media presence online.
  • rsorden said:

It's sooo hilarious that it's 1000% always the Mean Libtard Snowflakes of MFO that bring politics into everything...yet then they blame conservatives for it. This is 2 posts now started by larryB showing how unhinged the lefty loons truly are.

Trolls are so predictable. Are you larryB's sock puppet? Or is he yours?
  • edited October 2023
    Most MFO participants are here to discuss investing.
    Overtly political threads can be a major distraction.
    These types of "discussions" often devolve into accusations, name-calling, and animosity.
    The commentary may be very objectional to some.
    AFAIK, MFO does not have an ignore feature for threads or for posters.
    Threads of this nature belong in the Off-Topic section and not in the Fund Discussions section.
    This enables MFO participants to focus on investing and easily ignore
    overtly political threads if they choose to do so.
    This system has been in place for a while and it seems to work reasonably well.
  • @WABAC What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Excuse me for calling out BS. I'm a firm believer in an eye for an eye, reap what you sow, etc. And I sure as hell am not gonna let lefty loons talk nonsense without calling it out for what it is and showing that it's only 1 side that instigates all the trouble. I soooo love the lefty keyboard warriors like larryB. Normally, when I do post, which is quite rare, it is meaningful, helpful stuff. But I refuse to let nimrods slam/bash/slander/propagate hate, directly or indirectly, towards me.
  • @larryB- Over in the OT section you asked "Where can I find the rules for this place?".

There actually is no specific set of rules for "this place". From the very beginning of MFO David Snowball has relied on us, the posters, to maintain a reasonable degree of cooperation in maintaining a comfortable posting environment. And for the most part, that's worked pretty well.

The fact of the matter is that the great majority of posters value MFO for financial information and insight. This is not the first time that a situation like this has developed, and over the years it has been made clear that political commentary is not appreciated here. The OT section was specifically introduced for non-financial commentary, to keep it out of sight of those interested in the financial perspective.

Now it's obvious that many times it's hard to completely separate the financial environment from governmental (and therefore political) inputs. So a certain degree of political coloring does sometimes slide into the background commentary. The trick is to not let that sort of thing become the focus of MFO. This necessarily depends on the good will and cooperation of all of us.

Personally, I do my best not to introduce political coloring into my posting. However, if faced with an obvious political attack from "the other side", I have no compunction about returning fire. Yesterday, in a lapse of judgement, I allowed myself to be very explicit in expressing my opinion and contempt for two individuals who had, once again, posted vile and demeaning political remarks having little to do with financial matters. Predictably, this only made the situation worse, and that thread was then closed by a moderator.

Nobody "wins" in a situation like that. Good judgement and restraint are really the only "rules" here at MFO.

• So one poster here made references to "Mean Libtard Snowflakes" and "lefty loons."

Hmm. Why does that remind me of Agent Orange calling a NY judge "incompetent"?
This discussion has been closed.