Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• As for Treasuries, the CME Treasury futures are all up in prices, so the rates are down. The CNBC has stale data from Friday.

Tomorrow is a federal holiday, so the bond market will be closed. Typical 3m, 6m Monday Auctions will be on Tuesday.
  • Middle East turmoil causes oil, gold and USD to go up. Just as Saudi Arabia and Israel is improving their relationship.
  • something something 'October Surprise'???

Russia-Ukraine continues.
    DC now effectively unable to govern. Looming government shutdown (again).
    And now Israel-Hamas, with the US moving a CVBG even closer to the party.

Buckle up, folks....
  • "...this sucker could go down" - Pres. George W. Bush (2008).
  • Reactions in Asian and European markets are more muted than in the US market - and even that isn't huge. I think this is based on the assumption that this may be a local issue for Israel, Gaza and Hamas (with lots of "experts" having opinions), and may not spread beyond that.

• As of 0912:

SP -23.25
    YM -164

Much better than when the overnight session opened...we'll see soon enough.
  • edited October 2023
    Whew! Opened the window last night - but didn’t jump.:)

Nothing that out of the ordinary appears on my limited tracker. Bond market is closed today in honor of the guy who didn’t discover America. Uptick in gold & energy which had fallen recently. My Swiss equity holding bounced higher - possibly a safe haven flight into the franc. Bloomberg is reporting that Lockheed and some of the other defense contractors are seeing big gains. Wouldn’t you know?

Side-note: Settlement dates on trades made last Thursday or Friday have been extended one extra day because of the bank closure today. Discovered this when I contemplated possibly selling off a bit of a N/R fund I added to only Thursday.
  • edited October 2023
    Strange that these were all UP today ^TNX, IEF; ^TYX,TLT. The underlying markets were closed, so derived prices were used. But who derived these?
    https://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/^TNX,IEF,^TYX,TLT/view/v1

Edit/Add. Quotes for yields ^TNX, ^TYX are suspect. It seems that they had a small adjustment at the open, but didn't trade during the day. But IEF, TLT traded during the day. So, true 10y and 30y yields were really down.

Edit/Add2. Looks like CNBC Treasury yield quote page became live on Monday night. Click any entry and view the 5-day chart. https://www.cnbc.com/bonds/