Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* is doing click-bait crap, now.

"Download the report..."
I clicked on the link. Which in turn led me to a page that required my email address be given to them, and some other stuff. And they already have my email. And I'm always signed-in, too.
No thank you. Keep your click-bait "report."

Comments

• Now?

Been that way for a while. Buy this! Do that! Don't worry! Don't do that! Something is cheap! Something is expensive! Reply hazy! Ask again later!

Row after row, column after column, with incomprehensible graphics, or little pictures of strangers. One of the ugliest sites on the internet.

There are still a few interesting writers there. But try and find them amidst the churn from the content creators and the clutter from the design.

• edited September 2023
    ISTM the entire internet is going to s###.

At least 90% of the queries i submit (financial or otherwise ) come back as seductive advertisements having no value unless you provide personal information or pay money. Some of us have been around long enough to remember better days when one could do quite a bit of decent research on the net. It wouldn’t be so bad if the Ads were clearly marked as such before you opened up the links. But they rarely are. Re M* - I must have the “lucky touch” as I continue to find it useful for certain information without surrendering cash or providing an email. (Knock on wood.)
  • M* now had downloads only (vs URLs) for many of its documents; its Homepage articles remain open-access with URLs.
    I see that some others are also doing this. My guess is that it may be easier to put downloadable documents behind some wall (pay or request or just open).
  • Our local library card gives us full and free access to M* via a log on to the internet from anywhere, with no ads or any other issues to deal with. It is a great service I have used for years. Also Firstrade has full access as noted above, if you have an account which is free to open.
  • edited September 2023
    fundly said:

Our local library card gives us full and free access to M* via a log on to the internet from anywhere, with no ads or any other issues to deal with. It is a great service I have used for years.
    [snip]

My local library provides free access to Morningstar Investment Research Center (MIRC).
    MIRC includes M* articles and videos, fund analyst reports, Portfolio X-Ray,
    newsletters (e.g., FundInvestor, ETFInvestor), and various tools.
    Like you, I've also used this great service for years.
    MIRC will be replaced with an "enhanced database experience coming in September."
  • fundly said:

Our local library card gives us full and free access to M* via a log on to the internet from anywhere, with no ads or any other issues to deal with. It is a great service I have used for years.
    [snip]

My local library provides free access to Morningstar Investment Research Center (MIRC).
    MIRC includes M* articles and videos, fund analyst reports, Portfolio X-Ray,
    newsletters (e.g., FundInvestor, ETFInvestor), and various tools.
    Like you, I've also used this great service for years.
    MIRC will be replaced with an "enhanced database experience coming in September."
    "enhanced." LOL LOL LOL. I can't wait.
  • edited September 2023
    Yeah, one of the "enhancements" is the removal of Portfolio X-Ray.
    I assume M* is focused on increasing paid subscriptions.
  • Sometimes I worry that David Snowball may enhance MFO by cancelling my login. That wouldn't increase any paid subscriptions though, so that's probably the only reason why I'm still allowed in the door.
  • edited September 2023
    Hulu just “enhanced” my subscription with a $10-$12 monthly rate hike. Hemmingway commented once how in war “… words cease to have meaning.” :)
  • edited September 2023
    What's 'Morningstar?'

/ducks

(I gave up on them years ago.)