Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Georgia Indictments

edited August 2023 in Off-Topic
In the Off-Topic (OT) section there is now a complete listing of those persons indicted, and the asserted violations of the Official Code of Georgia.

Because of the gravity of this situation I have disregarded normal MFO posting standards, and posted this non-financial information in the Technical Questions section. For those who may not appreciate this, I do apologize.

Comments

• The various trials/charges being put in place, may indeed become 'financial'.
  • At this point nothing about trumps behavior comes as a surprise. He is shameless but he is what he has always been. The real issue, the issue that must be addressed, is the absolute devotion shown to this disgusting character by almost an entire party that has lost its collective mind and its connection to American values. What must be addressed is not only what to do about the criminal trump but what to do about the millions of people who are hopelessly devoted to follow him and may be guilty of aiding and abetting as he works to destroy our democracy. THATS THE ISSUE.
  • Wow, nice to see political BS on an investment site. Why not post the above on political sites?
  • Unfortunately I think that this "political issue" will have profound financial and investment implications, none of them good, unless the US demonstrates that it remains committed free and fair elections, the Rule of Law and the principle that no one is above the law.

One of the reason's Fitch gave for their debt downgrade was the political divisiveness. The crimes that Trump has been accused of (and the reported plans to further concentrate power in the President's hands if he is re-elected) would be unbelievable to Republicans in years past.

If one of the two major USA political parties continues to devote it's efforts, programing and policies to enabling a man whose every effort focuses on overturning our elections, democracy and the Republic that has made the US the pre-eminent world power for the last 100 years, the entire world and financial markets will rapidly loose faith in our system, our markets, our government and our currency.

If this is not an investment issue, I do not know what is

• @sma3. Right on! I believe Fitch used the term “governance.” The trump party, let’s call it what it is, no longer cares about governance. Does not even pretend. Just raw power. Trump has fooled the deplorables into supporting him against their own economic interests. And the extremely wealthy are in it for tax cuts. Increasing political violence and talk of civil war cannot be good for investments.
  • +2 sma3
  • FD1000 -1 Trumpster is trying to relive his days on The Apprentice . I believe that was the name of the TV show.
  • Georgia Secretary of State, Brad Raffensperger, spoke about Mr. Trump:
    “The most basic principles of a strong democracy are accountability and respect for the Constitution and rule of law,” Raffensperger said. “You either have it, or you don’t.”
    https://yahoo.com/news/georgia-secretary-state-shuts-down-180235690.html
    The comments below the articles are also spot on.
  • edited August 2023
    Judge sets Trump’s bond at $200,000. Bars him form intimidating or threatening co-defendants or witnesses or contacting them either directly or indirectly.

Excerpt: The warning includes a level of detail beyond the bond orders the judge signed for several of Trump’s co-defendants earlier in the day, making clear Trump’s ban includes social media posts and an “indirect threat of any nature.”

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4163006-trumps-bond-set-to-200k-in-georgia/
  • What is the chance he complies with these warnings? Slim to none?
  • edited August 2023
    MikeM said:

What is the chance he complies with these warnings? Slim to none?

Good question. Any type of detention (jail or other) would be very expensive with all the Secret Service protection ex-Presidents receive. Hell, might have to effect a whole new facility to house everyone & the necessary apparatus. Really uncharted waters here. Is it any wonder the markets are having a hissy-fit? (Maybe that’s why I’m invested 50% outside the U.S.) Banana republics can be dangerous to capital and a lot of other things.
  • I'd bet on the "none." he's too ignorant to know when to just shut up.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • larryB said:

At this point nothing about trumps behavior comes as a surprise. He is shameless but he is what he has always been. The real issue, the issue that must be addressed, is the absolute devotion shown to this disgusting character by almost an entire party that has lost its collective mind and its connection to American values. What must be addressed is not only what to do about the criminal trump but what to do about the millions of people who are hopelessly devoted to follow him and may be guilty of aiding and abetting as he works to destroy our democracy. THATS THE ISSUE.

You hit the nail on the head.
  • Right ON.
  • edited August 2023
    No, he won't abide by the bail restrictions. The next thing will be to see if his defiance lands him behind bars, where he should ALREADY be. Two impeachments were not for nothing, prior to the court cases.

The Repugnant Party will use every tool, every loophole, every opportunity to cement themselves in Power. It's the Repugnant Insurgency. No longer a political party.
  • "The Georgia case is also the first time Trump has faced charges that carry a minimum sentence. That would mean that if convicted on those charges, the ex-president would be required to serve prison time." ---Al Jazeera.

That's me over there, applauding. And don't forget his horse.

• "the ex-president would be required to serve prison time"

Yes, sounds very good to me also, but you just know that he will delay, appeal, delay, appeal... all the way up to HIS Supreme Court who will likely find that the whole thing is unconstitutional because the constitution doesn't explicitly mention the name "Trump" and therefore his conviction doesn't meet the "original intent" test.

The constitution doesn't mention large caliber automatic rifles and handguns either, but that's "different" and OK, says his court.
  • yup, it's bleak, no matter where you look.

• For the folks playing along at home...
    This is what 6'3, 215lbs looks like.
    That orange hot dog casing full of medical waste, KFC, and Diet Coke isn't 215lbs.

• Well, the nice is that this old lady can enjoy the numerous photos you and other guys come up with for contrast. Breathtaking to say the least.
  • Anna said:

Well, the nice is that this old lady can enjoy the numerous photos you and other guys come up with for contrast. Breathtaking to say the least.

+1. :)