Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

‘Never a Reason to Take Off Your Socks’: A Flight Attendant’s 12 Etiquette Rules

edited May 2023 in Off-Topic
Entertaining & Informative article. I’ve always admired the professionalism of flight crews. Met a few off duty as well. Class act. You’ll probably need a subscription to read full NYT article linked at bottom of page.

Brief Excerpt:

If it’s a long flight, by all means relax and take off your shoes, but there is never a reason to take off your socks. Foot smell is inescapable. Also, keep your feet to yourself. It is not acceptable to rest your feet on the armrest of the person in front.

Another Tidbit:

The bins are first-come, first-serve in economy class. You don’t own the spot directly above your seat, and it’s not acceptable to take out someone else’s bag to make yours fit.

I can see where the above could result in some serious altercations.

NYT Article

Comments

• edited May 2023
    Applause, here! I ride the bus through Oahu extensively. Shoes and socks! Yes! Of course, there's a lot of flip-flops being worn here, OK. But I've seen presumably homeless people riding, just to ride. Well, alright. But there's never a good reason to swing your valise onto the vacant seats next to you and elevate your filthy feet in flip-flops, resting them on that bag of yours, while you try to sleep through that long-ish stretch without stops, heading over the hill from Nu'uanu to Castle Jct.

I can also recall on the plane: the fellow next to me pulled out a contraption intended for nasal inhalation. Rather small. He loaded it with industrial-strength peppermint smell which buried the rest of us in that aroma. He inhaled it.
    What I WANTED to say, but did not, was: hey idiot! This is not your private living room." What I DID ask him to do was to close-up the little zipper-bag to try to minimize the after-effects. There are those of us with respiratory issues. Further, there are those of us who are highly sensitive to such sudden, excruciatingly strong aromas. I reached Honolulu tight in the chest and with a wheeze. Thanks, you inconsiderate doink.

Sadly, that's not unusual. And anywhere you fly, people pull out lotions and potions with those aromas which as SUPPOSED TO BE "pleasant." (Hey, lady: you're killing me.)
  • “If it’s a long flight, by all means relax and take off your shoes, but there is never a reason to take off your socks. Foot smell is inescapable. Also, keep your feet to yourself.
    That is so true that I encountered in my travel. There are those who are so inconsiderate for others. Same goes for man-spreading on bus and subway.
  • edited May 2023
    I like to slip my shoes off mid-flight. Not during take-off or landing when might have to climb out on a wing to escape. (Plus they could become flying projectiles in the event of a sudden stop / crash.) Always wondered if I was being inconsiderate or slovenly in so doing. But the article reassured me it’s OK.

Recently subscribed to the NYT (source of this article) at a ridiculously low $50 for the first year. Am enjoying the daily readings tremendously. Highly recommend if you enjoy reading about a wide range of topics, political and cultural. Switching to “low power mode” on the ipad quieted down any annoying ads. Dropped the WSJ. Picked up the full daily FT and Bloomberg. All these are well worth the cost and can be had for a year at special introductory rates.