Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Treasury Direct customer service

Last year I bought three batches of I-Bonds, one in my name and two intended as gifts for my wife and daughter. Apparently I did something wrong, and no gift accounts were created, although my holdings showed three separate holdings. I tried to figure out how to reclassify these as gifts using the TD website but got nowhere. So I finally broke down and called Treasury Direct this morning.

My experience was very positive. I expected a hold time, and it turned out to be just as long as the recording advised me — 15 minutes. The rep was friendly, helpful and knew exactly what to do. He walked me through each step patiently, and I was able to reclassify two batches of the bonds as gifts and transfer them to my wife and daughter. This all took about 10 minutes.

The I-Bonds for my daughter were a wedding present, so she can do whatever she pleases with them.

Comments

• Good to know that this reclassification to "Gift" is possible after the fact. Of course, in your case, it was a mistake, but the solution could have been more messy.

Some used the Gift route while the I-Bond rates were high, but the rate now may not be great setting up new Gifts.
  • Fortunately, I registered my wife and daughter at the time I bought the I-Bonds for them, but the process for creating gift accounts is confusing so that didn’t happen. Also you had to wait at least 5 business days after buying the bonds to transfer them, so I couldn’t do it at the time of purchase. I do remember indicating that they were gifts when I purchased them, but apparently did follow the correct procedures to have them show up in gift accounts. I was dreading having to go through a messy process to get them correctly classified as gifts and transferred, but it wasn’t difficult with guidance from the TD rep.
  • glad for you. even so, this just confirms my decision to steer clear of treas. direct.
  • Have to chuckle a bit. It does take some patience in order to navigate through TD site.

BTW, IRS is setting up online tax filing for free. If they can make the user interface similar to that ofTurboTax, that would be very helpful for those with straightforward tax filing.
  • edited May 2023
    Sven said:

[snip]
    BTW, IRS is setting up online tax filing for free. If they can make the user interface similar to that ofTurboTax, that would be very helpful for those with straightforward tax filing.

Intuit will vigorously oppose plans from the IRS to offer free tax filing.

"But the success of TurboTax rests on a shaky foundation, one that could collapse overnight if the U.S. government did what most wealthy countries did long ago and made tax filing simple and free for most citizens."

"For more than 20 years, Intuit has waged a sophisticated, sometimes covert war to prevent the government from doing just that, according to internal company and IRS documents and interviews with insiders. The company unleashed a battalion of lobbyists and hired top officials from the agency that regulates it. From the beginning, Intuit recognized that its success depended on two parallel missions: stoking innovation in Silicon Valley while stifling it in Washington."

"Internal presentations lay out company tactics for fighting 'encroachment,' Intuit’s catchall term for any government initiative to make filing taxes easier — such as creating a free government filing system or pre-filling people’s returns with payroll or other data the IRS already has. 'For a decade proposals have sought to create IRS tax software or a ReturnFree Tax System; All were stopped,' reads a confidential 2007 PowerPoint presentation from an Intuit board of directors meeting. The company’s 2014-15 plan included manufacturing '3rd-party grass roots' support."

Link
  • The 2019 ProPublica piece is out of date.
    The IRS announced significant changes Monday [Dec 30, 2019] to its deal with the tax prep software industry. Now companies are barred from hiding their free products from search engines [as reported in the ProPublica piece] such as Google, and a years-old prohibition on the IRS creating its own online filing system has been scrapped.
    https://www.govexec.com/oversight/2020/01/irs-reforms-free-file-program-drops-agreement-not-compete-turbotax/162167/

Intuit did itself no favors by hiding the free software from users. Instead of living with half a loaf, it could wind up with crumbs. It, and H&R Block, shot themselves in the foot by going further and completely dropping out of the Free File program in 2021 and 2020 respectively.
    https://www.propublica.org/article/turbotax-maker-intuit-will-leave-free-tax-filing-partnership-with-irs

From that piece:
    The program was founded as a gambit by the tax prep industry, led by Intuit, after the George W. Bush administration proposed that the IRS create a free online filing option for taxpayers.
    Worth noting who made the original proposal, given that
    Republicans are already lining up against the plan, fearing it could eventually lead to a system where the IRS fills out people’s returns for them, which they say is a conflict of interest since the agency also enforces tax laws.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/16/irs-free-online-filing-system-00097198

Why haven't I seen lots of homeowners up in arms about their municipal government determining how much their property is worth (assessor), then based on that number calculating how much they owe in property taxes, and even collecting the taxes online. And if you don't pay, they'll send the county sheriff to arrest you, the city attorney to prosecute you, and the municipal court to try you.

Certainly those must be blatant conflicts of interest as well. I protest!:-)
  • But the success of TurboTax rests on a shaky foundation, one that could collapse overnight if the U.S. government did what most wealthy countries did long ago and made tax filing simple and free for most citizens."
    Many European countries do not require filing tax return from their citizens. Tax is taken out from one’s paycheck automatically. So much time can be spent elsewhere.
  • Many other countries send out prefilled tax returns to their taxpayers.

According to recent studies, over 60 million US tax returns could be completed automatically.
  • Still use a real human professional. That 1040 makes my head hurt. And now, for what it's worth, there's the K-1. (First time for that was for the '22 tax year.)
  • TD site dead all afternoon
  • If you can do your own fed tax return, there is an existing online free file fillable form option here.