Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Top institutional & fund holders - SCHW

edited March 2023 in Fund Discussions
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/schw/holders/

Schwab’s stock has fallen about 40% over the past year. Down about 34% YTD.

Comments

• Not that I know what I'm talking about but while SCHW's profits could well be affected -- temporarily -- by increased costs of capital neither it nor its millions of clients will be going anywhere. Outflows from its MMFs? They've reversed. Schwab Bank is the tail on the dog. Schwab could (did) profitably exist without it. I guess we'll see, when first quarter fund reports come out, what mega-money managers did: buy or sell.
  • Why Schwab’s $7T Empire Is Showing Cracks
    Link
  • edited March 2023
    I just read the linked article. A Fed-induced hot mess? But the inflation dragon must be slain. It would rock my world to see SCHW encounter fundamental issues about the continued existence of its business. I have a hard time believing that its roots will be shaken. Still, all that borrowing..... Yikes. The only thing SCHW-related that I own is a bit of money in SCHP.
  • Seeking alpha had a decent comparison of the business models of SCHW vs IBKR

Former 50% of revenues are investing clients cash balances

Latter revenues comes from fees and managing bid ask spread for clients who want trading efficiency so are willing to pay for it

I am getting adds comparing IBKR rates on their balances (4.5%) to SCHW and FIDO