Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

TUHYX

Take a look at YTD performance and the attached chart. Compared to peers and the index, Morningstar shows this fund to be in the bottom 5%. Or do I have it reversed in my mind? I'm looking at the "95" number. The chart shows TUHYX to be performing BETTER than those other two items, eh?
https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/tuhyx/quote

Comments

• It the bottom 5% YTD not overall.
  • edited November 2022
    TUHUX ranked on top quartile in 2019 and 2020, but it ranked in the bottom quartile this year! Being ranked 95% among HY category may help a bit. As of 11/4/22, YTD return of BND is down -16.1% and TUHYX is down -16.7% (and that is too much for me).
  • Yes- MWHYX and TGHNX have outperformed TUHYX this year, but they're both more-conservative HY funds-couldn't tell you about the yield though.
  • And Vwehx ,,, vanguard high yield is down YTD 11.49%.
  • edited November 2022
    The Fed rate is at 4.0% after November rate hike. If the Fed terminal rate is over 5%, it implies that there are more downside to junk bonds going forward.

I would rather buy Treasuries (not funds) and CDs and hold them to maturity in order to get the yields and the bond price at par. Every time the Fed continue to hike rate, your yields go up. And you get your principal back in full.
  • edited November 2022
    Sven said:

TUHUX ranked on top quartile in 2019 and 2020, but it ranked in the bottom quartile this year! Being ranked 95% among HY category may help a bit. As of 11/4/22, YTD return of BND is down -16.1% and TUHYX is down -16.7% (and that is too much for me).

Hello, everyone and thanks for the replies. I see a discrepancy, and this is my point: the chart shows a bad year in '22, yes. But at the same time, the chart shows the fund TUHYX to be (slightly) outperforming its Index and peers. WTF?