Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Classic stock and bond mix no longer makes sense. Do this instead says BlackRock’s Rick Rieder

edited October 2022 in Other Investing
“ I think in the near term 40-60 makes more sense if you can get yields at these levels,” Rieder said during an interview with MarketWatch reporter Christine Idzelis, adding that insurance companies, pension funds, endowments and other institutional investors can easily earn a yield of 5% to 6% from a portfolio of short-dated bonds, with some high-yield assets mixed in.”

Read full story

It’s become become difficult to access WarketWatch articles. Good luck if you attempt.

Disclosure - I’m substantially less weighted towards fixed income than Rieder recommends.

Comments

• edited October 2022
    Sure, a bond guy can say that.

To friends who have already suffered historic bond losses this year, I have suggested to shift "some" to stocks for better recovery. Better yet, to use multi-asset funds that mix stocks-bonds-alternatives (FMSDX, VPGDX, etc).

Here is a graphic from Bloomberg posted on Twitter that shows how unusual 2022 has been with simultaneous large declines in both stocks and bonds - 1931, 1969, 2022.

• As of yesterday, bond and stock indices are down 16% and 22%, respectively. So the 2022 data point should move a tad lower that where it is indicated. Few alternatives are in black and many do not rely on just the traditional stock and bond allocations.

In hindsight, it would be better to hold cash in place of bond. But the aggressive rate hike surprised many bond investors. Perhaps when US slides into recession in early 2023 and the inflation starts to fall, the Fed will change their position.
  • Reinvesting bond dividends at lower and lower cost is not a decent strategy?
  • edited October 2022
    Ominous other years in the quadrant in that chart where we are now; the other two began long downturns. 1931 we all pretty much know about; 1969 was the first down year ushering in a decline that didn't break until 1982.
  • Crash said:

Reinvesting bond dividends at lower and lower cost is not a decent strategy?

I sure hope it is.

• edited October 2022
    No doubt short term bonds are paying well. But further out on the curve “plain vanilla” bond funds don’t appear to have fared much better than a diversified mix of equities or many mixed allocation funds. PRGMX, which I’d characterize as holding very high quality bonds of intermediate duration (5-7 years), is down 14.6% YTD. Global bond fund DODLX, which I own, keeps around 50% or more in the U.S. and leans towards higher quality bonds (with some sub-investment grade). It is down 14.45% YTD.

As for allocation funds, a couple 60/40 (bonds/stocks) from TRP sport the following YTD numbers:
    PRSIX -17.6% / TRRIX -17%. Even highly esteemed VWINX is off 15% YTD. If you check equity heavier conservative funds like PRWCX and DODBX you’ll find both have held up somewhat better than those bond and allocation funds I cited.

Of course managers can use derivatives to make their bond funds perform a lot better or even buck the trend, as I’ve sure some have done. But for the “plain vanilla” category further out on the curve there’s not a lot to recommend them over equities up to this point. None of this will cut your losses or make you feel better. Just a humble attempt to look at a few categories that longer term oriented investors tend to rely on.

Re Rieder’s suggestion - Note there is an air of market timing in what he says. He’s talking about a temporary shift to fixed income to take advantage of the spike in short term rates. I’d expect Rick to “ring a bell” to announce when the day arrives when we should move out of that defensive position into “growthier” holdings.:)

Most recent YTD numbers from Bloomberg I’ve glanced: Dow -18% / S&P - 25% / NASDAQ - 35%.

While it’s dangerous to try to equate this with another period (No two are the same.) - if you were to overlay this bear decline on top of the ‘07-‘09 bear market, I suspect in both magnitude of losses and duration we’re somewhere around the mid-way point.
  • ya, and i'm down -18 percent year-to-date, today, too. and reinvesting junk bond divvies at a current yield of over 10 percent. better than IG for sure. I'll not be waiting for uncle Rick to ring that bell. but i do find him interesting. TUHYX.
  • I was very leery of VWINX and other "allocation" funds. Everyone knew the stock market was close to peak PE, but when interest rates were so low last year, the protection bonds offered in the past disappeared, especially as VWINX duration is still 5 to 7 years.

I don't understand why they didn't move rapidly into short term bonds and cash. The bonds they held were almost guaranteed to lose 5 to 10%

I can only assume this is a case of being stuck as their mandate did not allow 70% cash
  • edited October 2022
    I agree that holding cash or short term bonds would be a lot better, but that is hindsight. Investment grade bonds are down 14% YTD and there are two more rounds of rate hikes to go this year. Until the Fed starting to reverse the course and cut rate, IG bond prices continue to fall. VWINX will likely to have the worst year on its record.

Europe is in the early phase of contraction and US will likely to follow in early 2023. One possible scenario is inflation to remain high, say 5-6% (not the 2% target) and economy slides into a recession, what will the Fed do?

In another post of WealthTrack interview with David Giroux of PRWCX, he uses bank loan and treasury (recent addition) in his fixed income portion of the fund. The portfolio responded to this year environment much better than VWINX even though PRWCX holds many growth stocks. https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/comment/154372/#Comment_154372