Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Most Powerful Buyers In Treasurys Are All Bailing At Once

Everywhere you turn, the biggest players in the $23.7 trillion US Treasuries market are in retreat. From Japanese pensions and life insurers to foreign governments and US commercial banks, where once they were lining up to get their hands on US government debt, most have now stepped away. And then of course there’s the Federal Reserve, which a few weeks ago upped the pace that it plans to offload Treasuries from its balance sheet to $60 billion a month.
https://fa-mag.com/news/the-most-powerful-buyers-in-treasurys-are-all-bailing-at-once-70058.html?section=3

Comments

• Helpful, Sven! I had seen the headline on Bloomberg.com but had used up my freebies for the month. Enjoyed the read.
  • edited October 2022
    I get many Bloomberg articles on Apple News ($10/month). I Google the title and find a free website where they post free articles.
  • edited October 2022
    Foreign central bank holdings of Treasuries at the US Fed are down sharply as the dollar has become strong (there is an inverse relationship). For foreign central banks, these are savings/reserves to be used in difficult times. They are using these dollar-funds to defend their own currencies and for other purposes. Anyway, the Fed is the first to know about this trend. Twitter LINK

• Question - So, I go over to Market Watch and the 1st headline mentions a bond "crash". When equities "crash", they, in my lifetime, recover quite nicely. How do bonds recover? Noone is going to want to buy the losers that are in a crash when there are better bonds to invest in. It would seem to me that the current bond funds are already predestined for collapse. How is this wrong? And how does the market, itself "crash" when there are new bonds to be bought and discounted old bonds to be considered? (Yes, I am this ignorant on this subject.)
  • Bonds can recover in at least 2 ways. Treasuries recover when bond prices rise generating capital gains. I'm sure many astute investors bought the EDV etf in 2008 hoping to capitalize on interest rate cuts and rising bond prices. Junk bond funds recover when their bond prices rise to approach par at 100. So in theory a junk bond fund with bonds priced at 60 would generate nice gains in an equity recovery when those bonds rise in price to approach 80 or 90. Some junk bond funds returned 50% or more in 2009, resulting from price gains and interest payments when QE commenced. Current bond funds are priced so that their effective yield matches the stated yield of newly-issued bonds.
  • edited October 2022
    That’s a nice post from @carew388.

Stocks do generally “recover”, although the amount of time to recoup losses and get back to par value can range from days to many years. Depends a lot on how fairly priced they were when purchased. So, stocks bought at a very hefty price will take longer to recover.

Bonds are a very diverse asset class. If you buy an investment grade bond with a predetermined interest rate and term (number of years) you will in nearly all cases receive your coupon (interest payment) along with the price paid for the bond if held to maturity. It’s rare, but exceptions can occur even with investment grade credit.

If you buy sub-investment grade bonds, you have a greater “reward” characteristic (higher interest payments) but also a higher chance the bond will default, leaving you high and dry.

Bond funds, however, do not behave in the same manner as individual bonds. The difference is most stark at the investment grade level. Say your bond fund bought a bunch of 10 year bonds paying 2.5% a year ago when 2.5% seemed like a good return. But now, investors can earn 4% on a similar 10 year bond. So in the open market folks begin selling those 2.5% bonds well before their maturity date. They sell for a loss just to get out of the position and to be able to reinvest their $$ in newer bonds paying a higher rate. So the bonds your bond fund holds fall in value. The fund’s lower NAV reflects the falling value of the bonds it holds. In addition, fund holders may “bail out” as the NAV starts falling, making it hard for the manager to buy those new higher yielding bonds for the fund.

What if you hang tight and don’t sell your bond fund? What will happen? Probably 1 of 2 things: (1) If interest rates fall over the ensuing years the bonds the fund owns should increase in value, They might even come to be worth considerably more than you (through your fund) paid for them initially. So, the fund’s NAV rises. However, (2) if interest rates continue rising, than your bond fund will continue to lose value and a lower NAV should result. Of course, as owner of said fund you should continue to receive interest payments, regardless of the value of the underlying securities. So even in a falling bond market (like now) there is a source of income to soften the hit.

@Anna - Your initial remarks are correct. Except, you seem to be assuming interest rates will continue rising (and bonds therefore “crash”). There is no absolute way to know that. Obviously, conventional wisdom at the moment does suggest your assumption is well grounded. Conventional wisdom is sometimes wrong. Just saying …
  • @hank;)
    Well, I guess my actual assumption is that, at my age and for bond funds with a lot of Treasuries, I might not live to see rates return to previous lows and, since I don't need the income, the NAV is unlikely to increase and the value is most likely to go down. I guess I was just curious to ask if there was something completely erroneous in my thinking, And the answer, I guess, is - not as much as I might like. Thanks to you and @carew388 for your responses.
  • i tagged along and learned a thing or two here, as well. thanks, everyone.
  • edited October 2022
    You’re not alone @Anna. Most of us and many fund managers are befuddled by this year’s markets. I’ve assembled below a few adjectives that might apply.

confused bewildered confounded nonplussed bemused baffled stunned puzzled befuddled stumped flummoxed dumbfounded muddled mystified addled discombobulated bamboozled bushed disconcerted distracted fazed fuddled thrown wildered mazed beaten nonplused uncomprehending uncertain troubled blank foxed worried at sea at a loss mixed up hard-pressed hard put

https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/another-word-for/perplexed.html

John Rogers at Ariel Investments addressed this on Bloomberg today, calling the current markets “Crazy“ . Rogers added, “We’ve never seen this kind of volatility, up and down, the ups and downs intraday, it’s something we’ve just never, ever experienced,” he

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/markets-crazy-ariel-touts-old-163756433.html

And I agree that for we boomers or pre-boomers our investment options are pretty constrained.