Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited September 2022
    The TSP is what it is. I might, however, point to the L income performance. While most elderly retirees have lost about 15% in most commercial target retirement income funds, retirees in L income have only lost 6%. The G has crept up a bit but doesn't seem to have the superior returns to many commercial vehicles that it once had. (Maybe it was always a myth; I don't know.) The equity funds are what they are - broad indexes. They probably mimic any other commercial offering for the same index fund. Truth be told, when income funds are down 15%, equity dominant funds being down more, even twice as much, isn't a stretch of my imagination. One might admit, however, that, when the G fund is available for ballast, it is a good thing. Many, like myself, are hoping that the recent changes that open the TSP to a commercial window don't drive up expenses for everyone and don't trash the plan entirely. Right now, it is reportedly non-functional. I haven't been able to fix my beneficiary after my husband's death. I don't think; who knows? Nothing is guaranteed updated or accurate. I am worried that RMDs won't come off in December as designed. With the disfunction, the only indicator might be whether you received the check or deposit. It is a mess, a royal, stupid, unnecessary mess with no real end in sight.
  • TSP L funds are TDFs with lower equity exposures than commercial TDF peers & with the SV Fund G as fixed-income. These factors caused performance lag when markets were rising, but are helping now in this dual stock-bond bear market.
  • Terrible last 9- 12 months
    It is to be expected when both stocks and bonds are down simultaneously this year. The only bright spot among the TSP funds is the G fund which is a stable value fund and having a positive gain.
  • edited February 2023
    For those interested, I have collected some info on TSP here,
    https://ybbpersonalfinance.proboards.com/thread/396/federal-tsp