Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Power of Dividends

Members on another board referenced the following article regarding dividends.
It's a good read...

"Wellington Management began by dividing dividend-paying stocks into quintiles by their level of dividend payouts. The first quintile (i.e., top 20%) consisted of the highest dividend payers, while the fifth quintile (i.e., bottom 20%) consisted of the lowest dividend payers."

"The second-quintile stocks outperformed the S&P 500 Index seven out of the 10 time periods (1930 to 2021), or 77.8% of the time, while first- and third-quintile stocks tied for second, beating the Index 66.7% of the time. Fourth- and fifth-quintile stocks lagged behind by a significant margin."

Comments

• edited May 2022
    Useful reading. Glad to receive the HBLAX reminder at the end of the article...I owned it in the past and will now take a look at it again.
  • edited May 2022
    Funds have distributions that include dividends and realized CGs. Stockcharts allows adjusted-prices (similar to growth-of-10K; use TICKER) and actual-prices (use _TICKER) for a dramatic effect on the same chart. As the link (using HBLAX for 10 yrs for example) may default later to 1 yr, I am also including screenshot image.

HBLAX & _HBLAX https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=HBLAX&compare=_HBLAX&id=p86439220899

• edited May 2022
    Keeping with that example, here is M*'s 5 year history of Distributions for HBLAX. It's generally been income and LT capital gains.....