Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Treasury I Bonds

Just bought $10K of Treasury I Bonds last week. My spouse now wants to buy $10K for her account but seems deadline passed. Seems there’s another auction in six months or so but wondering if I can buy more now or is buying period closed until later next Fall? Or is there another similar inflation-hedged Treasury bond available for purchase now? Thanks.

Comments

• edited May 2022
    You can buy I-Bonds on any business day at Treasury Direct- there is no auction as such like TIPS. New higher rate will start tomorrow, May 2. Do watch the annual limit as the order screen doesn't.
  • edited May 2022
    There is no deadline for I-Bonds. Apr 29 was the last day to get a guaranteed 8.37% for the next 12 months. I-Bonds bought in May have rate visibility for the next 6 months but not for the 6 months after that. New rates can be computed in October 2022
  • Thanks for explaining.
  • You can buy them at any time - if you buy at the end of the month, you get interest for the entire month since the purchase date of record is always the first of the month.