Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• The man is one of his biggest donor. He lacks the technical skills to truly critical changes to the USPS business model while making them profittable. Changing toward electrical postal fleet trucks makes most sense since these are important infrastructure investment. Not sure what it takes to fire him outright for being incompetent.
  • Sven said:

The man is one of his biggest donor. He lacks the technical skills to truly critical changes to the USPS business model while making them profittable. Changing toward electrical postal fleet trucks makes most sense since these are important infrastructure investment. Not sure what it takes to fire him outright for being incompetent.

Sadly, he can't just be dismissed, because it's not a Cabinet-level position. There is some sort of Civil Service Board he reports to. From time to time I hear about a vacancy, and uncle Joe nominating a couple of Dem. guys, to even-out the political make-up of the stoopid board. With enough votes on the board, Big Pockets Scumbag COULD be fired. (But.... WHEN?????)
  • The latest survey of people's homes clearly showed how antiqued the postal service is. The questions are laughable and showed how little they understand their customers. They really missed the opportunties more than once to make themselves relevant when the digital age arrives. We now seldom use postal stamps when we pay majority of our bills online (at least 10 bills per months). Also it is cheaper and faster to ship packages by FedEx and UPS than that of USPS.
  • edited April 2022
    +1. USPS has been hobbled, particularly by a 60-year pension pre-funding requirement. A new postal Bill was just signed by uncle Joe, I believe. That's supposed to help. In any case, I still like to write checks for most stuff, and use USPS regularly. It's a public service and it seems to me it must be maintained. The Trumpster installed uncle Louis as a reward for his big donations. He has business experience--- but in all the wrong ways. When I read about him, it reminded me of the company uncle Mittens was with: buying and then literally taking apart companies for profit, or maximizing efficiency at the cost of human beings, their salaries, their pensions, their families, their lives. Remember when DeJoy was brand new in the job? I was receiving bills AFTER their due dates had already passed! THAT never happened before. He was forbidding overtime and conscientiousness. "Stick to the clock. Who cares about outcomes???" .... Yes, there are aspects of the P.O. that are behind the times, even risible: the free automatic tracking service on Priority Mail is a P.R. bad joke. They track nothing. All they will tell you is that your item is still "enroute." Where is it? Somewhere between NY and Guam.
  • We started using online payment in order to pay the utility bill on time, whereas it took literally 5 days for the payment to get clear by the paper route. Same goes for credit card bills. Once the payment schedule is set up, the company get paid from our checking account automatically. Same goes for monthly investment with my brokerages, tuition bills, insurance bills and many more.

I agree that USPS is a crucial for many of us who don’t have internet access. We still use USPS for packages due to their longer hours than our local FedEx and UPS stores and some pricing advantages. At work, we use FedEx exclusively since they are so efficient.

There is little that can be done with 60-year pension pre-funding requirement . It was enacted awhile back to attract workers since their pay was below that of the private industry. Today I am sure they have an employee contribution plan such as 401(k) so that pension plan can be scaled back somewhat.
  • While I can appreciate the reasons that @Sven has chosen to use online payment via checking account, that is not an option for us. Every month two SS checks and two pension checks are deposited in that account, and at times there is a large amount of money there.

Given the incredibly poor security record of on-line hacking from every direction, there is absolutely no way that we would allow anyone any type of access to our checking account.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that the USPS performance has large variations depending upon location, but so far the service in SF has been quite good.
  • edited May 2022
    .....And yes, my SS and pension are direct-deposited into my checking account. I pay Visa and Amex after signing into my CU account. Simple transfer. I do it myself now, after their agent sent the money to the wrong card. Forgivable, but now I handle it. Easy to do. The only other auto-access granted is a monthly amount I just now began with TRP, into the sweep account.

I think that P.O. pre-funded pension requirement has been dealt with, maybe rescinded.
  • edited May 2022
    Old F*** here. I still mail certain things. Just feels better. Also, can write out checks in advance days ahead for mailing about the time the pension gets deposited. Less apt to forget. Have small 3% mortgage and like to mail that one in.

Hopefully this hasn’t already been posted:

USPS to slow down some mail delivery starting Friday/a>
  • Crash you are correct. The USPS Fairness Act passed, eliminating the need for the Post Office to pre-fund the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program. New Postal employees will receive Medicare while current retirees retain their FEP benefits.