Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Frank Holmes on the Markets

May be of interest…
Imagine it’s 2000, and let’s say a shopping cart of groceries costs you $100. Today, the same number of greenbacks would get you only $58 of the items in that basket of goods from 2000. That’s 42% fewer groceries on average for the same price. If you look at the chart closely, the deterioration of the U.S. dollar has only accelerated in the months since the pandemic.
https://usfunds.com/resource/the-putin-price-hike-is-fake-news

Comments

• edited April 2022
    Thanks @bee - I suspect few need convincing at this point that inflation is real and not entirely of Mr. Putin’s making. But the detailed insights into various markets are valuable.

Some bio on the author from Linkedin:

“Frank Holmes is the CEO and Chief Investment Officer of U.S. Global Investors. Mr. Holmes purchased a controlling interest in U.S. Global Investors in 1989 and became the firm’s chief investment officer in 1999. Under his guidance, the company’s funds have received numerous awards and honors including more than two dozen Lipper Fund Awards and certificates.

Mr. Holmes is a native of Toronto and is a graduate of the University of Western Ontario with a bachelor’s degree in economics. He is a former president and chairman of the Toronto Society of the Investment Dealers Association.

Mr. Holmes and his team at U.S. Global Investors publish a free … newsletter, the Investor Alert, which highlights the week’s market movements in a SWOT format each Friday evening for its more than 50,000 subscribers.”

• @hank makes a good point. Frank Holmes runs several natural resources funds and his writings tend to be tilted by commodity angles. This also applies to Jim Rogers, Jeremy Grantham (re-timber, etc) and others. But thematic/big picture-investing often provides good stories but doesn't always lead to good results.
  • Can anyone remember when a nickel would buy a nice sized candy bar ? Inflation, are you kidding me !
    Keep on smiling, Derf
  • edited April 2022
    Derf said:

Can anyone remember when a nickel would buy a nice sized candy bar ?

@Derf Yes. I was 4 or 5. Could buy a very nice sized candy bar for 5 cents.

A quarter back than bought you a delicious ice cream soda, malt or banana split at Sanders in the old J.L.Hudson building in downtown Detroit. Now you might get the banana for a quarter - but not the split. - Also, single scoop cones were a nickel. Double scoop 10-cents.

Problem growing older is you can remember the price of something 70 years ago but not where you put the car keys 5 minutes ago!
  • @Hank. Detroit guy here. Just saw a Sanders product at Costco. I remember Sanders downtown and at Northland too. The hot fudge was as much a taste of Detroit as a Coney or Buddy’s Pizza.
  • edited April 2022
    larryB said:

@Hank. Detroit guy here …

+1 My family moved to the Detroit area for a few years after I was born (roughly ‘48-‘52). Dad worked at Dodge Main and than the Warren Tank plant.
  • @Hank. My family owned a small business from the thirties to the eighties less than a mile from Dodge Main. Happily I didn’t follow in their footsteps.