Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PIRMX is available at Vanguard

My next article on MFO is about inflation along with a study of funds that do well. I was home on break and just returned to work. I see that I have missed some posts on the discussion board about commodity funds such as COM being lower volatility. Yes, commodity funds will be volatile, but COM has a lower drawdown because it is long/cash on 12 different commodities. COM is a good choice for those wanting inflation protection with lower volatility.

In the article, I will discuss Allianz PIMCO Inflation Response Multi-Asset (PZRMX) which is a real return fund available no-load at Fidelity. Real return funds are less volatile than most commodity funds partly because they have a limited allocation to commodities and some in inflation protected bonds, among other assets. I own the Fidelity FSRRX real return fund. I have researched PZRMX and while I like it, am happy with FSRRX.

After writing the article, I researched Allianz PIMCO Inflation Response Multi-Asset on Vanguard and found that the institutional class (PIRMX) is available with a minimum of $25,000 and lower fees of 0.73% vs 1.18%. It is a fund worth considering.

Comments

• If you want to go ALL IN on this sort of thing I like a small allocation to RLY.
  • PZRMX is no-load/NTF at Fido & Schwab.

FSRRX is obviously no-load/NTF at Fido, but $74.95 fee (higher) at Schwab because Fido doesn't pay-to-play.