Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

TRSTX

I know it's been a rocky road for all fixed income but I'm wondering if I should stop getting 'jabbed' with my TRP Ultra Short fund. I started investing in it over a year ago and the slight NAV fluctuation keeps me under my initial investment. Wonder if I'm better off making no $$$ in the Money Market fund at TRP...?

Frustrating to watch this drop $75 ...I accept drops 10x's worse in my investments but just gets frustrating!!!!

Comments

• edited February 2022
    Bloomberg had a TV blip today about liquidity issues / stress building up in “the money markets” related to the issues surrounding the Ukraine. That could have a short term impact on the NAV of TRSTX and similar ultra-short investments. Nothing I’d be alarmed about as long as didn’t have some immediate need for the money.

I can’t offer any insights into your dilemma. Personally, I hold little cash - and what I do hold I pretty much “write-off” as a 0 contributor to my bottom line. I realize this isn’t the normal approach. Perhaps those who do attach importance to interest earned at the short end of the rate curve will share their best ideas. I held TRP’s TRBUX, which I’d guess is the lower contribution relative of TRSTX. I thought it a fine fund. They’re a conservative lot and won’t take undue risk. If the Fed ever gets off their a*** and starts raising rates (widely expected) your fund will begin to perform better.

On the wider interest rate scene … The 10 year has dropped to 1.86 - 1.87% today on global uncertainties after topping 2% recently. That’s helping funds that hold longer dated investment grade U.S. debt.
  • Great insights Hank...much appreciated!