Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Humor anyone? (Excerpt from WSJ tribute to Betty White)

edited January 2022 in Off-Topic
White died last week just shy of her 100th birthday. I wasn’t a big fan. But SNL re-ran a show she hosted a few years ago last Saturday nite - and she was indeed exceptionally skilled at delivering a line!

From The Wall Street Journal January 3rd edition:

“She learned about reality television from my father, Allen Funt, in the early 1960s—and he quickly learned a lot about her. When performers appear on ‘Candid Camera,’ it doesn’t take long for their off-camera character to become clear. Conditions are cramped, there’s no makeup artist or hair stylist, the hours are long, and, of course, there’s no script. It’s not for prima donnas. So, here’s 39-year-old Betty White squeezed into a tiny ticket booth in Manhattan, telling moviegoers they must take a pledge not to reveal the film’s surprise ending. Warning others not to remove their shoes. And informing one gentleman that to see the film he was interested in he’d have to walk to Queens. She was delightful.”

Comments

• Howdy folks,

I firmly believe the secret to her longevity was her incredible positive outlook and her love of animals.

"Accentuate the positive, not the negative. It sounds so trite, but a lot of people will pick out something to complain about, rather than say, 'Hey, that was great!' It's not hard to find great stuff if you look." There are a million of these type of quotes. Good lord, she lived to 100. She WAS the Glass Half Full.

As for animals, she led the pack.

read://https_unitednewspost.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Funitednewspost.com%2Fnews%2Fus-news%2Fbetty-white-was-a-trailblazing-animal-rights-activist%2F%23%3A~%3Atext%3DBetty%2520White%2520had%2520a%2520wild%2520side.%2520The%2520legendary%2Cage%252099%252C%2520was%2520a%2520pioneering%2520animal%2520rights%2520activist.

With so many negative nicknames, how about we start calling some people, 'Betty'.

and so it goes,

peace and wear the damn mask,
    '
    rono
  • edited January 2022
    Too bad they didn’t turn her loose onT and those idiots. She had a wicked tongue. Quick and bright. I wouldn’t want to be on the wrong side of her.