Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fidelity's Joel Tillinghast to retire from active management in 2023

FWIW, for those who may be in invested FLPSX or considering. All will be well, IMHO.

Article

Comments

• So it begins.

The Fido trio Joel Tillinghast/FLPSX, William Danoff/FCNTX, Steven Wymer/FDGRX is in the same age group (60s). I think that Tillinghast is the oldest in the trio. He took a sabbatical recently. A 2-yr notice is still long.
  • @yogibearbull
    Yes. An amazing trio of talent.
  • He has a sizable team co-managing the fund. They have been running the day to day operation while hw was on sabbatical leave. Think the transitioning should be seamless. One concern is the large asset base and the fund has changed from a small cap value fund to an mid-large value fund with a sizable exposure to developed market.
  • edited November 2021
    Just for the heck of it, the 3 funds.....versus SPY.
    CHART for the 3 funds starting at Jan., 1999 to date. The inception dates were much earlier, but this is a chart limit for the site. One could always play with PV, Portfolio Visualizer for the full time view.

And yes, @Sven; FIDO has a deep bench for talent and research.
  • You are highlighting Fidelity’s best active managers. Can you imagine what these funds would perform with a smaller asset, say 10% of the current level?
  • edited November 2021
    @catch22 yes the PV chart looks a bit different but those funds are impressive all the same.

Link: SPY vs. FDGRX, FLPSX, FCNTX
  • search back here just a little ways to see strong debunking (not shared by me) of JT as of average skill after a good start
  • edited November 2021

@catch22 yes the PV chart looks a bit different but those funds are impressive all the same.

JT and Peter Lynch are the two PMs most responsible for my early retirement.

Not sure why your PV link uses 1985-2021. FLPSX incepted 12/27/89. So I changed the Start Year to 1990.

Also, your use of SPY as a Benchmark is noted on the results to limit its data to 01/90-10/21. So I changed the Benchmark to the VG 500 Index.

Here are the revised, far more impressive results that compare FLPSX to the three other funds since FLPSX's inception, a time at which my wife and I had it and Magellan as our only two funds. We shortly thereafter parted with Magellan.

EDIT: Deleted previous LINK. Having trouble getting the correct link posted here. See LINK at YBB's post below. Thanks YBB!
  • edited November 2021
    @stillers - it auto defaults to 1985 but the results themselves are constrained by the earliest fund in the comparison. Because I chose SPY vs. Vanguard 500 Index, it started from 1994 vs. 1990 if I had chosen Vanguard. Nevertheless (as opposed to nonetheless)- the results are just impressive all the same. The graphs look a bit different on PV vs. Stock Charts but the results are the same. FWIW I own 2 of the 3 funds mentioned and couldn't be happier. Let's hope the good times continue to roll. Cheers.

Edit Add: May nothing ever change with FDGRX. Has been just stellar for me for many years.
  • edited November 2021
    I think @stillers meant to post this PV chart, LINK .
  • These three Fidelity funds have produced impressive long-term results!

@yogibearbull,
    Nice to see you posting more frequently in this forum.
  • edited November 2021

I think @stillers meant to post this PV chart, LINK .

Yes, YBB, that is the PV Chart I was trying to link. Thanks!

And anyone who happened to look at the LINK I incorrectly posted might just want to take a look at the LINK YBB correctly posted for me.