Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Artisan Partners launches post-venture China fund for Tiffany Hsiao

edited June 2021 in Fund Discussions
Sorry folks , but I haven't been able to get around the paywall, but the heading provides a glimmering insight about what Artisan Partners may have in store.

https://citywireselector.com/news/artisan-partners-launches-post-venture-china-fund-for-tiffany-hsiao/a1520731

Comments

• It sounds like the only way to “access” Ms Hsiao at this time is to own Artisan’s stock? Ms Hsiao appears to be as equally impressive in person as on paper.

APAM actually has a rather impressive dividend growth record, it seems, and also issues special dividends….and is no longer a K-1 issuing partnership….
  • edited June 2021
    This may make more sense remaining as a private separately managed account strategy for high net worth investors than a public open-end mutual fund. Venture capital investments to any great degree inside public mutual funds have proved problematic in the past from a liquidity and pricing perspective. Look up Van Wagoner Funds or click here: https://sec.gov/news/press/2004-122.htm
  • edited June 2021
    @LewsBraham

I used to invest in Van Wagoner and Govett Smaller Company Fund before that. I pulled out my money before it collapsed.
  • This fund is investing in 15% private equity per the Citywire article above. Don’t know if the two Matthews funds she managed in the past allow that.
  • Sven said:

This fund is investing in 15% private equity per the Citywire article above. Don’t know if the two Matthews funds she managed in the past allow that.

They did not. Part of the reason she left.
  • Thank you. Good to know this fund differs from her previous funds.
  • She’s still doing the same thing. She is just less encumbered (Matthews had strict risk measures). As of now, my understanding is that there will be no mutual fund vehicle launched so no retail access to this mandate,
  • Long time reader, first time poster. I’m very interested in Tiffany’s new strategy. Invested with her at Matthews and (if I can figure out how!) would like to get in here.

Very interested to know how much appetite there really would be for a strategy like this (public/private China SMID) from HNW, family office, or other institutional clients.

Fees on this will be rich but her track record backs it up
  • I'm interested in this strategy, does anyone have any inside info on timing of potential mutual fund. The strategy currently appears only on institutional (separate managed account) side of Artisan.
  • I'm interested in this strategy, does anyone have any inside info on timing of potential mutual fund. The strategy currently appears only on institutional (separate managed account) side of Artisan.

The strategy is targeting 15% in private investments, so it's a poor fit for a mutual fund.
  • I am sure they have very high minimums and probably require accredited investors
  • There is no plan for a mutual fund.
  • The fund is listed in Artisan’s institutional website, not retail. Minimum is $1M.
  • Can't seem to find
    Sven said:

The fund is listed in Artisan’s institutional website, not retail. Minimum is $1M.

Hmm, i can't seem to find it. Any idea what the subscription or redemption terms are? Is there a lockup?

• Thanks@TheShadow. That is what I find on Artisan institutional site. The other one is for retail investors. Not much info on the site other than few general info. You need to contact directly.

That is NOT a fund for me.
  • Hmm. I'll say this. @ProtonAnalyst33 mentioned the thought process of folks being more comfortable investing in a geographical area where they have actually been, ok, I respect the thought process and commentary.

However, how about talking to folks who have done business at a high level in said geographical areas and understand customs, behavioral norms, etc. Setting aside all political correctness, judge a person/area by their character and how they conduct themselves and call it like it is.

Shady negotiation practices, shell companies, fraudulent financial claims, "slippery" dealings, patent infringement, going around others and trying to cut others out of a deal, wanting blue prints, taking design and selling it to others...uh, huh. I have experienced those first hand, regardless of whether I have been there or not. Worked with many collegues, saying whoa, that wasn't the factory they showed us in the photos....Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Don't buy into the con. Keep your money at home.

But agan, totally agree with Mr. Rono. paraphrasing, do what you are comfortable with, invest where you want, it's your money. Being candid, I don't know any of you, wish you all the best but if you make a fortune or lose it, it's on you...just some strangers typing away on the keyboard...

Good Luck to All,

Baseball Fan