Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Gohmert asks if federal agencies can change Earth's or moon's orbits to fight climate change

On the lighter side (in a shake your head sort of way)....perhaps this idea has SPAC potential:

Moving Heaven and Earth to Save the Planet

Of course this idea never got off the ground:

Flipping Islands For Fun and Profit

Comments

• I see he's trying to reclaim his title of 'Stupidest Congresscritter' -- but the competition is tough this year....
  • A special breed that one. And as @rforno mentioned there is plenty of stiff competition for dumbest of the dumb.
  • edited June 2021
    He would have been fun to observe in Haight-Ashbury about 1966. Hell, he's fun to observe today.
    So, is he a fully straight faced story teller or joker, or does his mind function as indicated? I'm trying to imagine a conversation with those he knows well after he asked the question/made the statement, in the video.
    He surely would have been the one in a group of 10-20 to "bogart" the joint.
  • Gohmert represents the district in Texas I live in. This is a very conservative district, and Gohmert is strongly supported here for his deeply conservative philosophy. I find him an embarrassment and think the Republicans can do much better in the next primary, but I don't think any Democrat will ever defeat him, even with all his stupid statements/positions--that is just a rural Texas thing!
  • msf
    edited June 2021
    One can be very conservative, or very liberal, and also be intelligent.

When I see elected officials like this, I'm reminded of a comment made of Nixon nominee G. Harrold Carswell at his confirmation hearing: "Even if he is mediocre, there are a lot of mediocre judges and people and lawyers, and they are entitled to a little representation, aren't they?"
    http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1895379_1895421_1895542,00.html

With officials like this, mediocre would be a big step up.

I just watched an election debate tonight, and while it had it's fair share of canned remarks, it was a pleasure to listen to so many candidates who were knowledgeable, well spoken, and respectful of their opponents. It's not impossible.
  • Don't even get me started about that buffoon.
  • @msf
    NYC ?????????????
    Nice to know about a bit of respect, even during battle.
  • Yes, candidates for comptroller. There's one name (and face) that should be familiar to people here. See if you can pick that candidate out from the crowd:

• Kinda like HollyWood Squares. I'll go with top/center for the win. Does she currently do any business broadcasting? I've not watched that network for years.
  • edited June 2021
    Michelle. Yux. Cuban heritage. Ayn Rand style capitalist warrior. I've not watched CNBC either, for quite a while.
  • +1 MCC isn't even suitable to be comptroller of Staten or Rikers Island ! MCC, Michelle Francis and Trish Regan probably worshipped Ayn Rand , Milton Friedman, and the Austrian School of Economics in their spare time !