Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

God Told Me to Put Money into Hertz - WSJ

edited May 2021 in Other Investing
Many small investors are beating Wall Street pros at their own game.

“A basket of stocks favored by individuals has outperformed the broader market since March of last year, according to Vanda Research. This group, which includes behemoths like Apple Inc. and Tesla Inc. alongside electric-vehicle maker NIO Inc. and digital-payments company Square Inc., has gained 68% since the beginning of March 2020 through Monday, far outpacing the S&P 500’s roughly 36% climb.

“And meme stocks popular with individual investors have been on a tear again. Shares of movie-theater operator AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc. jumped 36% Thursday, continuing a string of double-digit gains that pushed them to $26.52, their highest close in four years. The recent rally in AMC shares has catapulted them above levels recorded during the initial retail-driven frenzy in GameStop Corp. and other stocks this January. On Thursday, AMC was the most actively-traded stock in the U.S. market, according to Dow Jones Market Data.

GameStop has advanced 46% this month, far outpacing the S&P 500’s gain of 0.5%. Shares of Hertz Global Holdings Inc. have nearly tripled in May. Short sellers who bet against GameStop, Hertz and AMC—a group targeted by many smaller investors who have favored these stocks—have lost almost $9 billion this year, according to data provider S3 Partners.”

The Wall Street Journal - May 28. 2021

Comments

• God's investing finger's are everywhere.....,eh??? The God's ??? Whichever persuasion they may bow to.

----- Lloyd Blankfein, Chairman and CEO of Goldman Sachs, speaks during a panel discussion at the Clinton Global Initiative in New York September 23, 2009. REUTERS -----

LONDON (Reuters) - The chief executive of Goldman Sachs, which has attracted widespread media attention over the size of its staff bonuses, believes banks serve a social purpose and are doing “God’s work.”

In an interview with London’s Sunday Times newspaper, Lloyd Blankfein also said he believed big profits and bonuses at banks were a sign that the world economy was recovering.

“We help companies to grow by helping them to raise capital. Companies that grow create wealth. This, in turn, allows people to have jobs that create more growth and more wealth. We have a social purpose,” he told the paper.

The dominant Wall Street bank posted third-quarter earnings of $3 billion and plans to hand out more than $20 billion in year-end bonuses.

Blankfein told the Sunday Times that the bank’s compensation practices correlated with long-term performance.

“Others made no money and still paid large bonuses. Some are not around anymore. I wonder why?”

He added that he understood, however, that people were angry with bankers’ actions: “I know I could slit my wrists and people would cheer.”

• If Jesus came back and saw what's going on in his name, he'd never stop throwing up.
    From Hannah and Her Sisters
  • Miracle water made me a millionaire. That's all the "investment" Jesus requires - a tiny plastic bag of miracle water. (and a postal worker to deliver it all)
  • I ordered a bag from Amazon but when it came my wife used it to water her plants. They're all doing well, though, so maybe...
  • edited May 2021
    (I don’t write the headlines for the WSJ.) The essence is captured better, I think, by the subtitle: “Many small investors are beating Wall Street pros at their own game”.

Others may want to dwell on the religious ramifications of the story. I’ll prefer not to, agnostic that I am. The real take-away to me from the piece is how crazed the markets / small investors have become.

“Joe Doe” gets picked on all too much. I’ll illustrate instead with a fictional television character. Were Ralph Crampton driving bus in NYC today, he’d be holding a cellphone in one hand trading stocks while steering with the other (hopefully not running over the proverbial “shoe-shine boy”). Returning home at day’s end … “Alice! You won’t believe how much I made in the stock market today! Zoom! Wham! Bang!”

@Anna - Finding that postal worker to delver anything is tough. Could it be they’re all sitting home trading stocks?:)
  • .......Which is why I'm 56% bonds, these days. And 7% in cash at the moment. A coming bloodbath will surely affect me. But I'm doing all I can do to be prudent, in these crazy, frothy times.