Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

April commentary, stock light portfolio version 4.0, 65 years ?

While historical data is interesting; I reserved any comment until I clarified the "65 years" description in the below quote. What 65 years period?
Perhaps my 1 year of Covid era sheltering has literally affected my cognitive abilities; a "can't connect the dots anymore" circumstance.
Thank you @David_Snowball et al, and don't hesitate to point out that I may have begun a cranial-rectal inversion syndrome.

Stock light version 4.0 MFO, April link
In the past, 2004, 2010, and 2014, we’re shared research from T. Rowe Price that illustrates the dramatic rise in risk that accompanies each increment of equity exposure. Below is the data from the most recent of those articles, which looks at 65 years of market history, from 1949 to 1913.

Comments

• Should be 2013, as listed in the line under Performance of Various Portfolio Strategies.
  • Thank you @carew388
    I read David's write and posted just prior to traveling. I should have waited until returning home. I'll ponder the 65 years of history and markets as to how relative this is to the dynamic markets in which we play.
  • More about stock light portfolio: I wonder whether solid historic performance of this portfolio is related to gradually decreasing rates.? 40 years ago, in 1981, US treasury yield at its peak was 15.8%. Now it is below 2%. The difference is 14%, which was a tremendous contributor to bond funds returns. One can hardly expect that this trend can continue.
  • edited April 2021
    @finder: I can't imagine the returns from debt of all kinds will repeat the last decade, much less 40y, but equities are kind of in the same boat, as being historically rich.

Plus, there's a big galaxy of debt investments besides Treasuries, a lot of them with very different reward:risk.