Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Case for Emerging Markets to Re-Emerge

On today’s show we discuss:

How to find the best opportunities in emerging markets
Why a strong dollar is a headwind for EM economies, and how a weaker dollar can help
The enormous gap between EM market cap and EM population
animal-spirits-the-case-for-emerging-markets

Comments

• I hope so. My two EM: FSEAX +6.15% and ARTYX +3.79% and I wish that was my cost basis 1/1/2021 but it was not. Counting on these two to finish 2021 strong.
  • You're doing very well. Congratulations. I'm only 11% foreign, and mostly NOT EM. After just looking, I see my PRIDX is 0.32% Emerg. Europe, 1.78% Africa/Middle East, 15.30% in Emerg. Asia and 4.55% in Latin America. Also, 4.17% in "Australasia." Anyone who knows the map could figure that this means Australia, maybe NZ, maybe the Pacific Islands: Saipan? (U.S. flag flies there, though.) Samoa? But not American Samoa: belongs to the US, too. Then there's The Marshalls, the Solomons. Pitcairn's Island.... Diego Garcia is in the INDIAN Ocean. Only thing there is a military base, I understand... so. Pretty un-specific. Leaving out many locations. (What could be the GDP of Pitcairn's Island, anyhow? Eh?)
  • edited March 2021
    I continue to be concerned with rising yields, which are the main threat to EM (via strong USD). Leveling out of yields would help equities tremendously (which hasn't happened), which I fear will result in tightening EM policy.
  • I prefer to stick with developed markets. In the past I have been burned listening to the hype about buying emerging market funds
  • ducrow said:

I prefer to stick with developed markets. In the past I have been burned listening to the hype about buying emerging market funds

+1.
  • ducrow said:

I prefer to stick with developed markets. In the past I have been burned listening to the hype about buying emerging market funds

So no allocation at all? Understand your concerns, but might warrant a small allocation in your portfolio.

• MIOPX is a good way to get exposure to EM. 35% exposure to Asia EM. Balanced by exposure to developed markets
  • Big front load! I've always done this investing thing myself. No broker, who can get fees waved.
  • at Schwab MIOPX is no load
  • I don't currently own a dedicated emerging markets fund.
    My EM exposure is obtained via VWILX.