Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Own PRIDX? Morningstar contradiction... again. And AGAIN

edited January 2021 in Fund Discussions
Just a note to alert those concerned: PRIDX
Using (premium!) Portfolio Manager, Morningstar STILL, at this hour, shows a loss per share today, 19th January, of 3 cents. But look instead at the "snapshot" view of the fund, and you'll see that the actual daily performance was +1.75%.
(The lovely geniuses in charge stopped offering hard-currency amounts in that space, long ago. Percentage is offered, only.) .....MARKETWATCH shows the per share rise in actual dollars and cents to be +$1.61. And that info is available FOR FREE.

Comments

• Impressive, in a negative sense. 10:30 EST on January 20th and Portfolio Manager is still showing the January 13th (sic) closing price of $93.27. (That was a 3¢ drop from Jan 12th.) Date/price from Yahoo finance.

But at least the portfolio manager gives you a share price. Accuracy? Timeliness? Who needs them?
  • edited January 2021
    ...and right up through 5:00 p.m. (EST) the FOLLOWING day, the mistake persists, not updated. Uncorrected.
  • ...And I just noted that the same sort of thing is happening in "Portfolio Manager" with PRSNX.
  • I have experienced the same stale price data with respect to a mutual fund I have listed on M*'s non-premium portfolio manager and suspect that there's another glitch in their systems -- they've experienced quite a few lately. I thought it might be a "cookie" problem on my end but attempted fixes were unavailing so I'll stick with faulting M*.
  • edited January 2021
    I noticed this glitch in M* Portfolio Manager last week.
    The current price and percent change values for VINIX have not been updated since 01-13-21.
    These discrepencies (there have been other ones) erode my trust in M*.
  • Absolutely. Yes, indeed.
  • After ten days of being stuck, the M* portfolio manager is finally presenting the correct prices and daily changes for PRIDX and VINIX.

Oh, joyous day!
  • Crash said:

...But look instead at the "snapshot" view of the fund, and you'll see that the actual daily performance was +1.75%.
    (The lovely geniuses in charge stopped offering hard-currency amounts in that space, long ago. Percentage is offered, only.) .....MARKETWATCH shows the per share rise in actual dollars and cents to be +$1.61. And that info is available FOR FREE.

There is a way to coax the rise or fall of a fund in dollars and cents out of M* FOR FREE. Type the ticker into the search box in the upper left corner of the page. If you're lucky and you wait a little while, a dropdown will appear with the fund name, closing price, and change in price. No percentage change, though.

• .....And the beat goes on. The parade of miscues, tardiness in updating or just plain screw ups: tonight, at 10:30 p.m. Eastern Time, M* is having issues with my PRSNX, PRWCX and RPSIX not updating. (And more than likely, "with a cast of thousands," unknown to me.)
  • True, a few of the holdings in my portfolio show no change from Wednesday's closing prices when in fact there are differences as of Thursday. It's a good thing M* doesn't operate a brokerage, given their many technical gaffes.
  • It's a good thing M* doesn't operate a brokerage, given their many technical gaffes.
    You got THAT right!

• Is there an ETF equivalent to PRIDX?
  • edited January 2021
    Check this mutual fund to etf converter:

https://etfdb.com/tool/mutual-fund-to-etf/

For example : use VDGIX
  • The converter tool is a good suggestion. Though it works better for some funds than for others, and PRIDX is not a fund for which it shines.

What the tool is supposed to try to do is find ETFs (and ETNs) tracking the same index as a fund's primary benchmark. If there are none, it broadens its search to ETFs in the same general category as that benchmark.

It reports the primary benchmark of PRIDX as S&P Global ex-US Small Cap Index. While that's the first of three indexes listed in the prospectus, the most appropriate of those in the prospectus IMHO is Lipper International Small/Mid-Cap Growth Funds Average. The others are blend indexes.

Here's where the tool gets weird. It says the S&P Global ex-US Small Cap Index is in the same category as Global Equities ETF. Then it goes completely off the rails by listing securities as diverse as CAPE (a US-only ETN) and some Israeli ETFs (EIS, ISRA) among others.

To get better results out of the site, one can pick the best matching category from ETFdb.com's category page. Closest category is "Foreign Small & Mid Cap Equities".
    https://etfdb.com/etfdb-category/foreign-small-mid-cap-equities/

Better, but I don't see anything that looks like a growth-leaning ETF. Though I'm only guessing from their names.

An ETF I ran across that's somewhat similar to PRIDX is ERSX. It invests in the same mid-cap growth space as PRIDX. In fact, it's a bit growthier and a bit more volatile.

PortfolioVisualizer reports its R² with PRIDX is 96%. M*'s factor profile for the two are very similar, though ERSX is not surprisingly a bit more volatile. ERSX performs similarly but not as well as PRIDX, despite the fact that they have nearly no holdings in common.

Here's ETFdb's page on the ETF, which curiously it puts into the small cap blend category. (And people complain about M*'s problems.)

A write up on ETF Trends:
    https://www.etftrends.com/entrepreneur-etf-channel/rising-star-international-small-cap-etfs/