Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Lydia So, new portfolio manager for the Rondure New World Fund

edited November 2020 in Fund Discussions
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/915802/000139834420021185/fp0058962_497.htm

(see link for more info)

FINANCIAL INVESTORS TRUST

SUPPLEMENT DATED NOVEMBER 2, 2020 TO THE PROSPECTUS AND STATEMENT OF ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
FOR THE RONDURE NEW WORLD FUND (THE “FUND’) DATED AUGUST 31, 2020, AS
SUPPLEMENTED FROM TIME TO TIME

Effective immediately, Lydia So has joined the portfolio management team of the Fund. Therefore, the following changes are being made with respect to the Fund.

Summary Prospectus/Prospectus

The section entitled “Portfolio Managers” in the summary prospectus and in the summary section of the prospectus with respect to the Fund is hereby deleted and replaced in its entirety with the following:

Portfolio Managers

Laura Geritz, CFA, MA, Chief Executive Officer of the Adviser, has been a portfolio manager of the Fund since its inception in 2017. Lydia So, Portfolio Manager of the Adviser, has been a portfolio manager of the Fund since November 2020.

Prospectus

The following information is added after the last paragraph in the section entitled “The Portfolio Manager” in the prospectus with respect to the Fund:

Lydia So, CFA

Lydia So is a Portfolio Manager for the Rondure New World Fund. Her primary focus is on developing markets and her secondary focus is on international developed markets.

Prior to joining Rondure in 2020, Ms. So spent 15 years at Matthews Asia, initially as research analyst covering Asia ex Japan equities. She served as Co-Portfolio Manager for the Matthews Asia Science & Technology Fund (MATFX; now known as Matthews Asia Innovators Fund) from 2008 - 2017. Ms. So was the founding Lead Portfolio Manager for the Matthews Asia Small Companies Fund (MSMLX) from its inception in 2008 - 2020, and Co-Portfolio Manager for the Matthews China Small Companies Fund (MCSMX) from 2019 -2020.

Ms. So started her career in the investment industry in 1999 at Kochis Fitz Wealth Management in San Francisco. In 2001, she joined Dresdner RCM Global Investors as a portfolio associate working on U.S. Large Cap equity strategies.

Ms. So graduated from University of California, Davis, earning a BA in Economics. She is a CFA charter holder.

Comments

• It's a pity Rondure New World won't buy companies with market caps below $1.5 billion. It seems like a missed opportunity with this level of small-cap talent.
  • @LewisBraham

Maybe this is the beginning of something else for the firm?
  • Hi, Lewis. I think the market cap floor was part of the original partnership agreement between Grandeur Peak and Rondure Global.

Greetings, Shadow. Ms. So managed Matthews Asia Small Companies for 11 years. Her last above-average year was 2014 and assets have been drifting away since 2015. That might, in part, explain why she and Matthews separated.

I'll reach out to Ms. Geritz to see what I can learn.

David
  • My impression is that comparing Matthews Asia Small Companies against its Morningstar Pacific/Asia ex-Japan Stock fund category peers is misleading as most of them are not small-cap oriented. If one looks at the fund versus a Asia small cap benchmark like MSCI All Country Asia ex Japan Small Cap Index, Ms. So's skills are apparent:
    https://us.matthewsasia.com/our-funds/f-10/matthews-asia-small-companies-fund/investor/performance.fs
  • My impression is that comparing Matthews Asia Small Companies against its Morningstar Pacific/Asia ex-Japan Stock fund category peers is misleading as most of them are not small-cap oriented. If one looks at the fund versus a Asia small cap benchmark like MSCI All Country Asia ex Japan Small Cap Index, Ms. So's skills are apparent:
    https://us.matthewsasia.com/our-funds/f-10/matthews-asia-small-companies-fund/investor/performance.fs

Agreed Lewsbraham. Furthermore, if i recall correctly, small caps have been taking a pounding versus large and mega cap growth names (IE: Alibaba, Tencent, etc), which the other asia ex funds have large positions in.