Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

CHALLENGE! Ideas for 5 fund portfolio, 8% return, minimum drawdown going forward

Happy Halloween experts!

Just for entertainment purposes only and to maybe provide for good debate and ideas to the class going forward...provide your best 5 fund portfolio, minimum of 8% return, minimum drawdown to be held for the next 12-36 months...

I'll start, FWIW and again, for entertainment purposes only.

VLSIX KAR Long/Short, 15%
TMSRX, T Rowe Price Mult Strat Total Return, 5%
IQDAX, Q Infinity, 30%
ARBIX, Absolute Convertible Arbitrage, 10%
BIL, ETF, 1-3 Month TBills, 40%

Ideas/Thoughts....what say you experts, c'mon FD1K, whatda got?

Best,

Baseball_Fan

Comments

• edited October 2020
    Since 01/2019, the above funds made 8.5% + SD=2. See (link)
    VLSIX is the one that limits it.
    But I can do even better with BIL=40% + IQDAX=30% + VLSIX=30% and make 12.6% + SD=3.55(still low)
  • I think replacing VLSIX with RLSFX may help with the "minimum drawdown" aspect, at least based on their short-term history.
  • JD_co said:

I think replacing VLSIX with RLSFX may help with the "minimum drawdown" aspect, at least based on their short-term history.

I replaced VLSIX with RLSFX and the results were worse for performance and SD. See (link)
  • Just a suggestion, Basball_Fan, but perhaps you may also want to consider joining the existing "2020 Challenge-Participants", it's a new thread on MFO moderated by benchrest, aka Rich?

It's an annual event where the participants post their monthly portfolios and YTD total returns. This includes the timely posting of any changes they made to their portfolios. Rich then summarizes the monthly results and the end of year final totals.

As Rich states, "Participants can join at the start of any month [...] Just post your beginning portfolio for the month of November. Some members are retired with conservative portfolios and others more aggressive. Others are in the accumulating phase. Portfolio does not have to match a real portfolio but perhaps test ideas. Not truly a contest since we have different goals with our test portfolios. Also I have some indexes in the results to measure against."

It is, in a way, a good vehicle "Just for entertainment purposes only and to maybe provide for good debate and ideas". Try it, you might like it.

Good luck,

Fred
  • Thanks Fred, I'll check it out!

Best,

Baseball_Fan