Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How are your bond funds holding up?

Looks like the 10-year has shot up about 10 basis points in recent weeks to around 0.77% this morning. The media gurus are all over the story, so I took a look.

- PBDIX up 7.14% YTD / down 0.44% past 4 weeks

- DODLX up 6.6% YTD / no change past 4 weeks

- RPSIX up 1.07% YTD / up 0.12% past 4 weeks

Any good ideas where to put money for a little extra return beyond cash with minimal potential loss of principal over 2-3 year periods? Short term bonds vs intermediate? AAA rated vs. sub-investment grade?

Comments

• edited October 2020
    Safest. Ally 11mo no penalty cd. Also consider ultra short bond funds. GSY, ICSH, JPST,TRBUX,VUSFX. I own all of the above. Sorry goofed and posted twice accidentally.
  • fundly said:

Safest Ally 11mo no penalty cd. Also consider ultra short bond funds. GSY, ICSH, JPST,TRBUX,VUSFX. I own all of the above.

• Mine:
    PTIAX dropped measurably at the beginning of the week. Holding even on the last two or three days. PRSNX and RPSIX have risen nicely, this week. For not any reason I can figure out. Particularly given the political turmoil.
    27 US stocks
    8 foreign stocks
    57 bonds of all sorts

PTIAX 7.82 of portf.
    PRSNX 20.99
    RPSIX 26.51

retired, 66. pretty happy with my funds. Wife has one fund, Trad. IRA: BRUFX.
    Everything else is concentrated in 6 funds. PRWCX holds 31.48 % of portf, including BRUFX.
  • You can read my bond thread for ideas (link)

Higher rated bonds (core + core plus) + Munis are not doing well for 1-4 months.
    The best bond funds are specializing in securitized/MBS. You can most in the Multi category but also in Non Trad
  • edited October 2020
    I've moved on from bond funds. I never understood them, and I made that clear several times on MFO. With my newly discovered freedom selling puts, I have absolutely no use for them.

The only out and out bond funds I owned were RSIVX and RPHYX. I expect to lose them by EOY. SIRIX and SSIIX I have to think about. I might get rid of some balanced funds as well. This year I'm going to greatly reduce the number of funds I own. I have previously belittled nonsense about owning "too many funds". I still don't have issue with it. Just that I've found a better mousetrap.

Most of all, I'm sorry to say WFH due to Covid has been good to my health as well as wealth. I will not apologize for it. 007 can take a hike AFAIC.
  • edited October 2020
    @VintageFreak Can you explain your last paragraph? What is “WFH”....and who is “007”...? Sorry if it’s obvious....I’m that lovely combo of under caffeinated/dehydrated. Lol

You definitely spurred me to start exploring, and then selling, puts in my dad’s account to generate some income (and it puts some cash on the “sideline” for a while until the put expires, or I buy it back when the price drops to pennies per option). Thank you again!

Edit: a quick google search showed WFH is work from home. Dunno what 007 means still, though. Thanks!
  • 007 James Bond? But... AFAIC? Always Farting Around In Clownsuits?
  • Crazy Joe Davola.....the most terrifying character in the Seinfeldverse. Nicely done, sir. (And I believe it’s As Far as I’m Concerned)....and oh!!!! 007 is for “bonds, vanilla bonds” *facepalm*....wasn’t sure if I missed another Trump (or J. Powell?) nickname hahaha
  • edited October 2020
    Of course, language is a constantly evolving mode of expression. This list might be of help in understanding VF’s communications.

25 of the Most Popular Internet Acronyms

AKA Also Known As
    BTW By the Way
    CYS Check Your Settings
    EOD End of Discussion
    TLGO The List Goes On
    LOL Laughing Out Loud
    HF Have Fun
    ROTFL Rolling on the Floor Laughing
    YMMD You Made My Day
    OT Off Topic
    YAM Yet Another Meeting
    LNT Leave No Trace
    DTP Disturbing The Peace
    DNA Deoxyribonucleic Acid, Did Not Attend, Does Not Apply
    KIG Keep It Gangsta
    AYT Are You There?
    WYM Watch Your Mouth, What You Mean?
    LMK Let Me Know
    LI Laughing Inside
    WDYWFM What Do You Want From Me?
    NGU Never Give Up
    HBY How About You?
    IMMD It Made My Day
    LBNL Last But Not Least
    LYLT Love You Long Time

Source: https://blog.talk.edu/learn-english/25-popular-internet-acronyms/

Not on list - But I took AFAIC to mean “as far as I’m concerned.”

I haven’t had time to look at Bonds (the non-investable one) but will be sure to do so. Just uncovered a trove of old JB movies OADSOITG.
  • @msf - Welcome to high school.
  • PIMIX, PTIAX, BAGIX, SWSBX, BIV all holding up and in the money for the year (at my cost).