Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

This 50-year-old Vanguard mutual fund is holding its own against younger rivals

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-50-year-old-vanguard-mutual-fund-is-holding-its-own-against-younger-rivals-2020-09-04

This 50-year-old Vanguard mutual fund is holding its own against younger rivals

By Mark Hulbert

Vanguard Wellesley Income Fund shows how a blended stock/bond portfolio can make investors money

Good fund indeed to consider adding to your portfolio for long term. Low fees, reasonable long term returns, may do better than peers...

Comments

• Check the duration on the bond sleeve and see if you feel comfortable with that going forward.

If the Fed is successful in raising the inflation rate will interest rates rise as well?

I don't plan to sell out. But I do take profits out every few year to put elsewhere.
  • WABAC said:

Check the duration on the bond sleeve and see if you feel comfortable with that going forward.

If the Fed is successful in raising the inflation rate will interest rates rise as well?

I don't plan to sell out. But I do take profits out every few year to put elsewhere.

Let me know when you see inflation. They are talking about it for several years while high tech is taking over and it will increase and this time it will take away higher paying jobs. The people who keep their salaries upgraded are the STEM ones.

Price competition decrease margins too. All I need is to google something I want to buy and find the best price online which means more actual stores will lose.

• FD1000 said:

WABAC said:

Check the duration on the bond sleeve and see if you feel comfortable with that going forward.

Let me know when you see inflation. They are talking about it for several years while high tech is taking over and it will increase and this time it will take away higher paying jobs. The people who keep their salaries upgraded are the STEM ones.

Price competition decrease margins too. All I need is to google something I want to buy and find the best price online which means more actual stores will lose.

I'll raise my right hand. ;-)

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I think the central bankers are scared to death of deflation. But you never know.
  • Hi Guys,

Why not! A mutual fund doesn’t know its age. It acts and reacts based on its managers market projections which likely change often for complicated and often strange reasons.

For these reasons returns are a matter of both luck and strategy with luck being the dominant factor. An old saying goes something like “ I’d rather be lucky then good”. Unfortunately, both good luck and bad luck exist. I have experienced many cases of both. Investing is a challenging and tough business.

Good luck to all of us players! We all need a ton of it, and that includes the so called experts.
  • looking at AOK and AOM again, just for ease; match or surpass VWINX for the last year (only)

wondering what I will do though if the market never drops :)
  • Set up an investment plan with AOK or AOM. If the market starts dropping , these etfs can be sold quickly without commissions or a transaction fee(excluding the minute SEC fee.)
  • For anyone who respects the conservative approach of Leuthold funds, LCR is another option to AOK. Less volume is a concern if you wanted to sell quickly, but results better than the iShares ETF. A bit more tactical than the straight balanced iShares products. FWIW, I hold some LCR.
  • Thanks MikeM Wish that LCR had a higher volume. My first choice would be an etf version of VBIAX wonder why Vanguard hasn't launched that etf yet?