Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Thursday close

Schwab shows that following:

DJIA
27,739.73 +46.85 (+0.17%)

NASDAQ
11,264.95 +118.49 (+1.06%)

S&P 500
3,385.51 +10.66 (+0.32%)

Russell 2000
1,564.30 -7.77 (-0.49%

My account resulted in(-.4%)

This isn't the first time being negative after an up day. I was wondering if other MFOers have the same results in their accounts from time to time ?

Looking for a better Friday close , Derf

Comments

• BRUFX was up. Also, PTIAX. I'm mostly bonds, but still own stock funds. Everything else was DOWN. Strange, but it happens. My total portf. was down by -0.1%.
  • UBER, TSLA, APPL, RMBS bond funds, DODIX, JNK/HYG, AGG, EMB all up.

Financials, industrials down.

Like just about every recent day, momentum up, Fed backed assets up, value down.
  • edited August 2020
    Hi Derf, According two a couple of feeds in my barometer they have reflected over the past couple of days a softening and from past history this has often reflected that a dip (decline of 0% to 5%) or even a pull back (decline of 5% to 10%) perhaps even a correction is in the making. To me, this makes some sence due to political convention activity. We shall see. As I write the futures are down in most risk on asset classes. I not looking for an up day in the market as it is Friday and most traders will close out their open positions rather than carrying them open over the weekend. This is Old_Skeet's scientific wild ass guess (SWAG) so no gurantees on the above are made. My account was down -0.06% (6/100ths).
  • edited August 2020
    @Derf,

One theory advanced by some is that what you observed is a reflection of people chasing the indexes / index funds higher and higher. (Call it “The elephant chasing his tail” syndrome.) So, while several indexes were propelled higher by indiscriminate buying (including from the Robin Hood crowd), the overall market which is owned by (hopefully ) saner managers didn’t rise as much.

Here it is from one experienced observer. I’ve limited the excerpt which is from a paid subscription.

“ ... while today the popular stocks beneath the surface, whether that's Apple or Tesla, (continue) to melt up. It doesn't take much knowledge of historical valuations or an understanding of math for folks to realize that there are so many companies where the valuations are beyond absurd ..... When an index fund gets money, it just goes out and buys and the price makes no difference, which is not what occurs when an active manager gets money. They tend to use some common sense as to what might be too expensive to buy or too cheap to sell.” (Bill Fleckenstein / Aug. 21, 2020)

https://www.fleckensteincapital.com/dailyrap.aspx?rapdate=08-21-2020
    © Copyright 2003–2020 by FleckensteinCapital.com LLC
  • we all have same problem. check advance decline figures and you will see more declines than advances hence most funds are in descent mode. philpill