Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

So much for America

Howdy folks,

Here you go. Pretty much sums up a lot of our problems in a nutshell.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/covid-has-reduced-to-tatters-the-illusion-of-american-exceptionalism-writes-rollingstone-in-op-ed-11597781594?mod=home-page

and so it goes,

peace and wear the damn mask,

rono

Comments

• Sad to say I agree and have said so for years. From things like crumbling infrastructure, the inability to hold smooth elections, the convoluted nature of health care, lack of public health care, poor public education conditions, hunger, polarized politics (and reality!) and more that have been allowed to fester and worsen over the years, I truly think America is a "failing" state --- and if we don't take big, decisive, sustainable, and effective action, we will be careening into a "failed" state status over the next 10-20 years.

I also cringe at the term 'American exceptionalism' -- it implies we can do no wrong, ever. History shows that's not true, and we make our own share of mistakes. But the term has been used to defend the insanity and keep the dream alive while wrapping it up in the red-white-and-blue, so ... here we are, looking at the looming precipice.
  • You're both spot-on. I have to just repeat this excerpt: “More than any other country, the United States in the post-war era lionized the individual at the expense of community and family,” he wrote. “What was gained in terms of mobility and personal freedom came at the expense of common purpose. “
  • edited August 2020
    The seed article in Rolling Stone - covid-19-end-of-american-era-wade-davis-1038206/ Is long and wordy. Reminds me of the Adam Tooze article Bee linked here: London Review Adam-tooze/shockwave That I need to revisit.

I always thought America was exceptional because it was a melting pot. The exceptionalism is/was the melding of cultures. I suppose the cultures have gotten more diverse and consequently not everyone wants to partake in the melding.
  • sort of

it's

fuck you all, I've got mine
  • As put by the FYC:

• edited August 2020
    @Rbrt That Rolling Stone article is great. Thank you. +1
  • you guys reading fintan o'toole in nyrb and elsewhere?
  • @Rbrt That Rolling Stone article is great. Thank you. +1

Excellent article. Very interesting read...good stuff.
  • For sure. I'd read that earlier.. someone here must have posted a link to it in another thread. Well worth a second trip.
  • Rbrt said:

The seed article in Rolling Stone - covid-19-end-of-american-era-wade-davis-1038206/ Is long and wordy. Reminds me of the Adam Tooze article Bee linked here: London Review Adam-tooze/shockwave That I need to revisit.

I always thought America was exceptional because it was a melting pot. The exceptionalism is/was the melding of cultures. I suppose the cultures have gotten more diverse and consequently not everyone wants to partake in the melding.

You make a good point. There was a terrorist attack from within Belgium a couple of years ago, maybe. It was noted at the time that the ethnic community to which the terrorist scum belonged had never integrated after they arrived. They were ghetto-ized or else chose that environment for themselves. One way or the other...
    But what I learned about "American Exceptionalism" is related to The Pilgrim/Puritan roots of the original white presence. The Anglican Church back in England were suppressing free religious expression by that group which sailed on the Mayflower. I suppose the very name "Puritan" derives from their desire to purify, to make "their" New World a "City On A Hill." Biblical reference, of course. A beacon, a destination. Light in the darkness. Back in England, the Puritans objected to Anglican institutional set-up and formal liturgy. Naturally, that Puritan presence evolved and grew to be the Congregationalists. Quite a loose confederation, with pretty much ultimate authority residing within individual congregations. Among Protestants, I think they are the biggest presence in New England. They used to have a seminary in Bangor, but it closed a while back.

So, I see the term and it conjures up that history. Which is why it fits so well with evangelicals and the Repugnant Party--- to the extent that white evangelicals latched onto Trump like a lamprey. (There IS a distinction between Congregationalists and evangelicals, but there is the generic "Christian" connection. A lot of evangelicals belong to "churches" that are independent and like to go their own way--- not Congregational, which is a legitimately ORGANIZED denomination.) So to them, marrying the cross and the flag is no problem at all. That's what they WANT. But I find it all quite distasteful. That flavor of "Christian" b-s is unpalatable. (Or as Olaf said in the e.e. cummings poem: "There is some s*** I will NOT eat.")