Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PAUDX

edited June 2012 in Fund Discussions
Hi-

Long time lurker at this site and its predecessor. I have been investing in the markets since 1986. I have to say that the last five years have been both the most fascinating and frustrating I have ever experienced. this is my first post.

In my Core account I hold FPACX, FESGX, IVWCX , ICMAX and ABRCX. I am contemplating the addition of PAUDX. I like the low volatility and equity like returns. I've read the commentary here and most seem to agree with its use as a Core type holding and with its performance and risk characteristics. Before I pull the trigger, any other thoughts that people want to share?

MarkM

Comments

• Speaking of Arnott and your consideration of his Asset Allocation fund - check out his article from last year in Oct 2011 - a good read on his views.

Arnott: The Long View-Building The 3-D Shelter
    By Rob Arnott | October 26, 2011

http://www.indexuniverse.com/sections/features/10121-arnott-the-long-view-building-the-3-d-shelter.html

Excerpt:
    =====

"For an asset allocator, the sweet spot is a combination of cheap assets and an improving economic backdrop. Today, we have cheaper assets and a deteriorating macro picture. Thus, the prudent course is to add incrementally to these exposures.

If you are buying some assets, you have to be selling others. The obvious sell candidate in a long-term inflationary environment would be developed world sovereign debt.

{...}

So while Treasuries and other ultra-low yielding safe haven assets will likely provide liquidity and possible short-term protection on a nominal basis, their long-term real return outlook is bleak. Thus, investors must ask themselves: What is risk? Short-term volatility or long-term impairment of purchasing power? Unless one plans to spend the bulk of one’s assets in the next year or two, we strongly assert the latter is a far greater risk.

{...}

Investment portfolios of today are in a similar predicament. Sadly, a 3-D hurricane season will not be a matter of waiting a handful of months but will require many years of guarded vigilance. Preparedness can and should start now while a softening economy postpones the 3-D hurricane season a year or two. Fortunately, many of the asset classes that will form the bulwark of our shelter are becoming reasonably priced. There may never be a better time to establish our third pillar, using continued weakness to embed and reinforce our ability to weather the storm. The beach days are over. It’s time to get to work—carefully and deliberately—building protection from the greatest threat to our portfolios."

• KGV-

That's a nice add. Thanks.

MarkM
  • edited June 2012
    I like All Authority over the unhedged All Asset. I own a moderate amount of All Authority as a supporting player.
  • PAUDX is worth considering. We use it as part of our go-anywhere/flexible allocation group (along with WASYX, FPACX). And its dividend yield is very attractive, too. Its target goal is reasonable, given Arnott's experience and strategies.
  • Some may think this is an income fund but dividend is not a pimary objective. The yield can vary considerably.
  • I have a small separate IRA split equally between PGMDX and PAUDX. Buy and Hold.
  • For those of you with PAUDX or similar flexible/hedged holdings, how much do you allocate to these funds vs. a traditional stock/bond portfolio? As a person approaches retirement, would you increase or decrease your exposure to these funds, or maintain them in a small supporting role?
  • I am in retirement and have about 3% each in PAUDX and MFLDX. They are not core holdings.
  • I have PAUIX as about 5% of the portfolio. There are no hard fast rules re allocating these type of tactical funds. About 2 - 3 years ago Rob Arnott who manages PAUDX/PAUIX said he had all of his retirement funds in the fund, over $1m at that time.