Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

2019 Luxury Index Lists Whisky As Most Coveted Collectable

edited June 2020 in Other Investing
“The report out this month, produced by Knight Frank, says Rare Whisky has grown in value the most over the last 10 years at +564% and increased by +5% in the past 12 months; and states casks remained in huge demand. By comparison cars have seen an increase of 194%, art by 141% and wine by 120%.”

Story

Comments

• Did they find any value in the empties?

As the article notes . . . The problem with storing liquid in wooden barrels is the loss of what's inside over time. Up to a point, that's accounted for in making whiskey, or wine. But I've never read that what's inside will continue to get better until it has evaporated.
  • I take this article as a contrarian sign -- during the GFC I also saw articles posting how wine/whiskey were great investments. They probably are, but IMO too much of a bother last time I looked.

Now, my own collection? I'll savor it as a tasty investment -- though I do have a $400 bottle of a 40-year-old scotch I'm saving for some special occasion sometime.
  • Sort of envision drinking $20 bills with each sip.:)
  • My office tends to collect dust. What's that worth?