Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

US government fines Wells Fargo $3 billion for its 'staggering' fake-accounts scandal

Comments

• edited February 2020
    Remember ... The ticker symbol for Wells Fargo is WFC. In my book, this stands for "We Fleece Customers!" And, no doubt they did!
  • The question is is the fine enough? The limited liability nature of companies which translates every crime into a financial penalty for the company while often appearing to let the individuals responsible for the crimes off the hook doesn’t seem to be working as a deterrent in these big cases where the crimes are systemic in nature and come from the top down. I wonder if it would be possible to create a punishment or if one already exists where the company loses its corporate charter and is liquidated.
  • Laws are not going to be changed, better use of the fund for wall building.

My neighborhood elementary school is also building a wall around it's perimeter first time since 30 years of existent.

To feel safe, we need to make wall everywhere.
  • maybe SR Parnassus now will not hold it anymore

oh, wait; nah
  • edited February 2020
    Wells Fargo managers created unrealistic sales goals for employees. Many front-line employees felt that the only way to reach these goals (and keep their jobs) was to create fake accounts. Senior management deserves most of the blame since they were aware of the situation and had created the culture where this behaviour was encouraged. They should be prosecuted and held accountable for their actions.
  • You have to remember the government gave WFC a group of sliced and diced liar loans back about 2008 that no one else wanted. Sorta taken out of context WFC thought it gave them a ticket to burn, pillage and rape everyone else.