Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

today may feels like early late Fall/ Nov 2007 all over again

edited February 2020 in Off-Topic
DOWS/ were dropping 200s-1000s points every day/few days then major downturn late 2007 continued to 2008...
took beatings up from 14k until 7.6k when started to slowly stabilized in feb 09

may trade for more lifecylcle 2040 after today closure

Comments

• Yeah, not seeing that similarity in the markets at all.

Drivers of those respective moves could hardly be more different than a potential pandemic with a low 2% mortality rate versus the looming, worst financial crisis in a lifetime.

• stillers said:

Yeah, not seeing that similarity in the markets at all.

Drivers of those respective moves could hardly be more different than a potential pandemic with a low 2% mortality rate versus the looming, worst financial crisis in a lifetime.

I don't think we ever got over the Great Inflation era. That's when the economy began to hollow out for many American workers, small towns, and all the stuff people are still talking about to this day.

So I feel like I've had the pleasure of living through interesting times twice so far -- not counting the tech bubble.
  • edited February 2020
    We're nowhere near 2007 yet.

When the Dow was -800 as the TARP vote was failing / failed in DC during the throes of the crisis, I felt a sense of existential dread about the system coming apart, even as I was trading futures around it. A few down days now, even big violent surprise ones, don't rattle me .... this 'feels' like panic or reactionary selling (mainly algos) based on headlines, not rational thinking.

I bought some stuff yesterday, and had sold a few things last week as I repositioned one of my accounts. But otherwise, I'm mainly an equity buyer for the long-term as things "go on sale" for me these days.

• "If you can't trust a fixed fight, what can you trust?"
  • edited February 2020
    We'll never see 2008 again in our lifetimes. If you are a long term investor just keep buying the dips until 2035. This a Wave 3 Supercyle that will lead to undreamed of stock prices.

No worries.
  • I can't tell how serious you are Simon?:)
    Simon said:

We'll never see 2008 again in our lifetimes. If you are a long term investor just keep buying the dips until 2035. This a Wave 3 Supercyle that will lead to undreamed of stock prices.

No worries.