Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

1234568»

Comments

• hang in, pls
  • edited March 2020
  • dtconroe said:

After a few days of not posting, I have decided to discontinue posting on this thread. At least for now, I am not motivated to start any new threads.

Are you motivated to go back to M* or look for another mutual fund forum?
  • dtconroe said:

After a few days of not posting, I have decided to discontinue posting on this thread. At least for now, I am not motivated to start any new threads.

I'm very sorry to see you go. Hopefully your absence will be temporary. I understand that a period of reflection is often the best course of action.

Thanks for sharing so much with us and best wishes.
  • edited February 2020
    Dear dtconroe, I do hope that you will reconsider your decision to go. In fact I would like to ask you a question which is very important for me personally. On January 9 you said: "For me, I would not touch IOFIX with a 10 foot pole, but there are many others who believe this is the next great multisector bond oef."

Can you tell us more exactly why you would not touch IOFIX with a 10 foot pole? The fund behaves amazingly well, but maybe you see something that is hidden from many of us? I invest in it for several years already, and I could not identify immediate signs to worry. Do you have some reason to believe e.g. that its stability is not the result of the special kind of investments they make but a result of Ponzi scheme? You said: "I have chosen to only use VCFAX and PIMIX". But I was under impression that PIMIX was doing well in the beginning because of investing in mortgage-backed securities, just like IOFIX, and now PIMIX cannot do it as well as they once did because of the enormous size of the fund, while its more nimble brothers at PIMCO like PDI or PCI continue to invest predominantly in mortgage-backed securities? I am asking your opinion not to debate, but to learn from you, because I am a novice in bond investments, so it is a very practical issue for me.
  • edited February 2020
    FWIW

I'm thinking, for me, the "Big Question" is? Was dtconroe writing the subject thread for their own benfit or for the benefit of their readers and perhaps even for the benefit of the board itself? With this, in mind, I'm not looking for their return.
  • edited March 2020
  • edited February 2020
    @dtconroe: Surprise is to me. I sincerely aplogize for my cavalier comment in the form of a question since you have responded to readers questions. However, that still leaves you with some indifference regarding the MFO board itself. Old_Skeet
  • Old_Skeet said:

FWIW

I'm thinking, for me, the "Big Question" is? Was dtconroe writing the subject thread for their own benfit or for the benefit of their readers and perhaps even for the benefit of the board itself? With this, in mind, I'm not looking for their return.

I am a little confused with this post. Who is "their"?

• edited February 2020
    d
  • Feel free to delete it now.
  • edited February 2020
    @Gary1952, Since, InformalEconomist answered your question; but, plans to delete their response, I have copied and pasted it below so that it remains part of the thread history in answer to the question that you asked of me.

"They" is the current, nonbinary equivalent of "he or she."

Respectfully,

Old_Skeet
  • With all the turmoil in the markets I thought I'd bump this thread up. Safer bonds may be what some are thinking now.
  • Thanks Mike. I'm personally reluctant to add to any bonds when the 10 year treasury just hit its all time low in terms of yield. When things turnaround they could move awfully quick the other way just like they did on the way down.
  • I am strongly debating switching from bond OEFs, which currently comprise 10% of my dad’s income-managed retirement portfolio (essentially bucket 1), to bond ETFs (and i friggin’ hate bond ETFs/indexes). At TDA, the 180-day holding period made it hard to opportunistically sell out of bond holdings (albeit temporarily) to purchase things that were selling off (and had become good values), such as the PIMCO CEFs (some of which traded at 1.5-2% higher yields last week). VCIT, VCSH, and some of the more conservative (oxymoron?) IG CEFs, such as BTZ and TSI. Currently hold IOFIX (arguably the best multi-sector), PONAX (steady ~5% income), and SEMPX (enhances cash) in this spot.